spring [ ten ]

"you said you won't skip school today," i told yedam, as i spoke to him on the phone.

pouting, my classmates were chuckling and giggling at me but i just let them. how can i let yedam skip class today when he told me he wouldn't?

"the boys and i are gonna debut soon," yedam answered, so i narrowed my eyes while looking at the board.

it was recess, and those little notes on the board just pissed me off. even jeongin is absent today!

"and i have a comeback next week," i retorted, hearing him laugh on the other side of the phone.

"right, good luck on your comeback, by the way. wait, hyunsuk hyung's here. i gotta go," yedam said, so i gaped.

before i could even answer, he already ended the call. aaah! we were supposed to get some crepes after school. he promised me he'd treat me. i was about to compromise and just ask jeongin to come with me but he also didn't come. i'm done with today.

once i placed my phone back in my bag, i was surprised to see my classmate hyejin looking at me straight in the eye.

"woah, there, hyejin. what is it?" i asked, and then she sat down in front of me while her arms were folded against her chest.

"you were calling bang yedam, right?" hyejin immediately asked, and i slowly nodded.

"um, yeah? why?" i asked, furrowing my brows.

"can i have his number?" she suddenly asked, which made me part my lips.

"are you kidding me? you can ask him for his number, don't ask me. ask for his permission. i don't wanna go and spread his phone number," i said, making her narrow her eyes at me.

"so, you're that selfish and such a prick, huh?" she replied, which made me widen my eyes.

"oh? i'm sorry if you misunderstood, but what i wanted to tell you is that it would depend on him if he wants you to have his number so it is more appropriate for you to ask him instead of me." i said, raising my brows.

she's actually getting mad at me?

i was surprised when she suddenly slapped me across the face, earning the attention of our classmates. i, myself, was really shocked that i forgot how to speak for a moment. my cheek was stinging and i was frozen on my spot, but i could feel my tears threatening to spill.

was it wrong for me to protect a friend's privacy? was it wrong that i just didn't want yedam's number being passed to someone without him knowing?

"i wasn't asking for your explanation. just because you're a debuted artist, it doesn't mean that you get to feel superior. i just want his number, i want to call him and text him all day and night, but never mind that. don't feel so high and mighty. he probably would have been interested in me the way i am to him," hyejin replied, rolling her eyes before slamming her hand on my desk. "stuck up."

she started walking out of the classroom, which made me look down on my lap as i fiddled with my fingers. i suddenly felt so anxious, not knowing what to do. i felt so guilty, but at the same time, i thought that i wasn't entirely wrong about the situation.

i could feel the gaze of my classmates so i just leaned my forehead against my desk. they probably believe what hyejin said. that i am a stuck up person.

i thought my day couldn't get any worse after finding out that both yedam and jeongin were absent, but i was wrong. i was extremely sad and anxious the whole day. i felt my confidence going down a whole lot.

but i'll be fine. i always am.

"oh? renjun? what are you doing here?" i asked renjun, when i found him leaning against a wall in front of the school.

he had a disguise on but i could already tell that it was him. but the real question is... what is he doing here?

"i just felt like picking you up from school. i had a bad feeling so i wanted to check on you. come on, let's go get ice cream. judging by that pouty face you had before you saw me, you probably had a bad day, right?" renjun answered, making me smile softly and hold on to his arm.

i let him drag me away, like he always did whenever i was down. the boys were and still are always there whenever i needed someone the most.

maybe i hang around too much with boys, but that was because i felt like they never fake their friendship with someone. i've had my fair share of girls breaking my trust and ruining everything for me, but the guys were there to cheer me up and pick me back up. they treated me as one of their own, and that was more than enough for me.

"tell me what happened over ice cream, okay? it will make you feel better. i have two hours before we practice so let's spend that with each other."

"renjun, why are you so kind to me?"

"you should be asking why i shouldn't be kind to you."

he really is the best.