Chapter Thirty Five

Emily:

The feeling in my lower back and stomach was by far the worst pain I have ever had in my life, and sitting on a strange toilet while my captor paced back and forth did not help matters at all. I tore off my pants and blood soaked underwear, hanging on to the sides of the toilet as my breaths sharpened.

"Vincent, you have to call a doctor." Sweat poured into my eyes, stinging them. "Please, it hurts."

"No, no, no....I can't do that!"  He continued pacing around the bathroom like a lunatic, holding his head as if he were in as much pain as I was. "How do I know this isn't some kind of terrible trick?"

He didn't really believe that.

I could tell by the panic in his eyes. 

I softened my voice in an attempt to calm his nerves, hoping it would help him think more clearly.  "It's not too late to get me to a hospital.  I know you want our baby to be safe and healthy."

"Our baby?"

"Yes." I was getting through to him. "She is our baby, Vincent. We have to save her."

His eyes filled with tears. "It's a girl?"

"She's going to be beautiful." I cupped my hand over his cheek. "I bet she'll have your eyes."

He closed his eyes and took my wrist, bringing my hand down so that he could kiss it.  "You know I want our daughter to be healthy, but I don't trust you not to tell the doctors that I kidnapped you."

"I swear I won't tell.  My only concern is our baby."

"No, I can't take the chance.  I'm sorry."

My chest was filled with a fiery rage that made me want to reach out and strangle him. It was difficult maintaining a cool temper with the agonizing pain taking place in my body. "If you don't take me to a hospital, our baby could die! Don't you care!?"

"Of course I care!"

"Then fucking call 911!"

"No!  I won't do it!"

"You stupid son of a bitch!"  I tried to leap off of the cold toilet, but I collapsed to my knees.  All I could do was sit on that grimy floor and weep.  "I can't believe you're so selfish, Vincent.  I hate you."

He kneeled down beside me and took my face into his hands. "Don't say that, Emily. We don't need a doctor to deliver our baby. I can deliver her."

The hairs on the back of my neck rose, and I tried again to scramble to my feet. "No! You can't!"

He wrapped his arms around me, holding me closer to him as I struggled uselessly. "Yes, I can. I've seen lots of medical shows-"

"That doesn't make you a doctor!"

"Stop screaming at me! I'm doing the best I can!"

"Let go of me!!"

"Hush, Emily!  Someone will hear you!"

"I don't care!  I need a doctor!!"

He pulled me towards the bed and threw me on top of it, causing another harsh wave of pain to surge through me.  My stomach was hard as a rock, and I could feel the contractions drawing closer together.

This baby was coming out soon. There was no doubt in my mind. I had to convince Vincent to let me out of here! I didn't want my baby girl to die.

I've grown so attached to her over the last eight months that I couldn't imagine my life without her.  She had to make it through this somehow.

"It's going to be okay," I held my stomach and spoke to her softly, while Vincent ran back into the bathroom to grab some towels. "I love you, Cora."