Chapter 1

"They say storms are temporary, but the lives they cross are never the same."

I sighed in dismay as the gentle morning sun's rays infiltrated my room, dissolving the remnants of a delightful marshmallow dream. Dreams had always been my closest companions, providing a sense of individuality in my life. They had been my escape from reality since childhood, a time I didn't have the chance to create memories. While other kids made the best memories of their lives, I spent my childhood helping my aunt with her bakery.

My parents passed away in a car accident when I was six. I didn't have many memories of them since I was sent to live with my aunt. They never made me feel like an orphan; they treated me as their own child. After completing high school, I moved to Canada for higher studies, gaining valuable exposure and learning to be independent.

Struggling to leave the comfort of my cozy bed, I let out an inadvertent groan. With a stretch that felt like a morning ritual, I reached for my phone on the nightstand. A quick glance at the screen sent my eyes widening.

11:30! How had I managed to oversleep by so much? I dashed to the bathroom, hastily completing my morning routine, and grabbed a pair of jeans and a black shirt since my luggage remained unpacked. My wardrobe left me with no other choices.

Holding the box of cupcakes Aunt had requested, I hurriedly headed for the door, making sure to lock it behind me. I was supposed to be at my elderly uncle and aunt's café by 10 to help out. I had frosting that needed to be delivered to a customer before their event started. I had baked it at dawn so Aunt wouldn't have to worry about the order. How had I overslept so drastically? Ah, right, the eight-hour flight was to blame. I had just returned from Toronto after completing my master's and graduating, a significant milestone. My studies were behind me, and the prospect of finding a suitable job lay ahead. For now, I had volunteered to assist Aunt with her bakery.

Aunt had suggested that I take the day off to rest, but I couldn't bear the thought of her and Uncle working at the café on their own. They were growing older, with limited staff to assist them, so I felt compelled to help.

My phone chimed, and I smiled upon reading Aunt's message, asking if I was awake. Her care meant the world to me. They had loved me as their own, never making me feel like an orphan.

As I was engrossed in typing a response, I suddenly collided with something, stumbling backward and causing the box of cupcakes to go airborne. I instinctively closed my eyes, bracing for the impact on my jet-lagged back. However, two sturdy arms enveloped me, preventing my fall. I was too apprehensive to open my eyes and ascertain the identity of my savior. Summoning the courage, I dared to peek through one eye, and the other followed suit. I found myself gazing into a pair of striking grey eyes. A throat cleared nearby, and I reluctantly tore my gaze away from his arresting eyes. I feared I had stared for too long, and my cheeks had likely taken on a crimson hue.

As I began to withdraw from our current position, I realized my hands were resting against his chiseled chest, and his hands were on me, which indicated that they were empty. He held the box securely in his hand, and I breathed a sigh of relief. I noticed his hand covered in tattoos and his black leather jacket with an 'A' on it, which was unfamiliar to me. I decided to ignore it for the moment. "Oh, no! The cupcakes!" I hastily extricated myself from his grasp and frantically searched the ground.

"Are you looking for these?" a husky voice, tinged with an Italian accent, inquired, sending shivers of excitement down my spine. His accent was sensuous, and although I had many Italian friends, I had never heard such a profoundly seductive voice. I glanced up to find a smirk gracing the corner of his mouth, his full lips making it hard not to stare at them. I noticed his strong, stubbled jawline and resisted the temptation to touch it. I averted my gaze from his entrancing eyes to avoid further embarrassment.