ᴘʀᴏʟᴏɢᴜᴇ

~5 years ago~

An 11-year old Akio Hara sat on his couch, happily scrolling through the channels. He was home alone and was patiently awaiting the return of his parents. They had promised him they'd be back before 5 pm. Akio glanced at the clock. 'It's almost 6 pm' he thought. Even though his parents were late once again, Akio didn't mind. 'I can use this to finally convince them to get me the limited edition All Might figure!' Akio continued to immerse himself in his pleasant thoughts.

Akio's parents were part of the Villain Rehabilitation Program. Akio's mother had a quirk that allowed her to read the emotions of another person and Akio's dad had the ability to influence the emotions of someone. Together the two had successfully rehabilitated 10 big-time villains. That's what Akio's parents were doing at the moment. The villain that Akio's parents were working with was not as dangerous as the others they had met, so his parent's tardiness did not raise any flags of concern in his mind. Time trekked on and soon enough the clock read 9 pm. Akio's hands began to spark with blue energy indicating his anxiousness. Akio's leg bounced up and down as he tried to remain calm.

Akio tried to convince himself not to worry, but he couldn't help the uneasy feeling that had crept upon him. 'Breath, focus on happy thoughts. ' DING-DONG. Akio's head bolted upright. His parents had a key, there was no need for them to ring the doorbell. The sparks on his hands became larger as he sprung off the couch and shuffled to the door. His brain was racing a mile a minute. Pausing for a moment Akio cautiously looked through the window trying to get a look at who was at the door.

"Yamamoto-san?" Akio opened the door and looked at the man who stood slumped in front of him. Kai Yamamoto had worked by Akio's parent's side for many years and was a close family friend of the Hara's. "What are you doing here?" asked Akio. " Akio-kun," the older man paused and took a shaky breath, "May I come in?" Akio jumped a little. The worry for his parents had completely overridden his manners and he could feel that something was wrong. He rushed to welcome Mr. Yamamoto with a forced smile while trying to focus on the negative aura that Mr. Yamaoto was emitting.

As he was leading Mr. Yamamoto to the living room, the worry at the back of his mind grew larger and he glanced down at his hands seeing that they continued to sporadically spark. After the two were situated Akio nervously asked the man why he was visiting. "Not that it isn't a pleasure you're here, it's just I thought you'd be with my parents still," Akio added quickly, scratching the back of his head in nervously. Mr. Yamaoto flinched at the mention of Akio's parents. "Akio-kun, I actually have some news for you regarding your parents." Akio sucked in a breath and he dug his fingernails into his palms. The fear at the back of his mind now expanding and taking over his thoughts. Mr. Yamamoto's tone was not his usual cheerful speech, no this was something quite the opposite. Sadness, depression, guilt. Akio could feel the emotions hitting him like waves.

"Your parents were working with a class C villain tonight. This guy's quirk was nothing major, a simple body enhancing ability that allowed him to grow his nails into sharp claws. He shouldn't have even been a threat of any kind to us..." Mr. Yamamoto trailed off. At this point, Akio was cradling his hands trying his very best to contain his emotions so he would not accidentally damage anything, but the way Mr. Yamamoto was speaking to him, filled him with dread.

"Where are my parents?" Mr. Yamamoto's face changed briefly from a serious expression to a sorrow struck look. "Yamamoto-kun where are my parents?" Akio repeated louder this time. He was now standing up trembling and staring intensely at his parent's co-worker. "I'm so sorry Akio-kun, but the villain lost control and-" Mr. Yamaoto choked out a sob. "What do you mean lost control? Are they ok? Did they get injured?" Akio yelled. "The villain got a hold of your father. Your mom tried to step in but ..." Akio froze, his hands shaking and his legs felt weak. Mr. Yamamoto continued, " I tried to get into the room to help them, but I was too late. The villain slashed your father's neck and then he stabbed your m-" The man was cut off as Akio loudly sobbed. His cries filled with pain.

"They said they'd be home by 5. I know they're always late, but they always come home." Akio whispered through tears. He felt so weak and so alone. His body gave out beneath him and all his energy was drained from him. Mr. Yamamoto rushed to his side and pulled him into a tight embrace. "I'm so sorry Akio. I wish I could've done something. If only I had gotten to them sooner, things would be different." Akio clung to the man's shirt and cried.

Tears poured out of the boy endlessly and he felt as if he had no life in him anymore. His hands no longer sparking for his quirk had drained him of all his energy. Akio was left desperately trying to control his sadness but his efforts were useless as the cold reality of what happened wretched its claws deeper and deeper into Akio's heart. He had never felt so alone. Never again would he allow himself to feel this way, like an empty shell of his former self. Never again would he let his loved ones be ripped from him so viciously.