Chapter 20: Don't Leave me, Please

She might not make it

Those 5 words he dreaded hearing, yet he knew he had to face reality one day. He was told countless times to be prepared for the worse yet when it actually happened, he's really not prepared.

Renjun was out of breathe by the time he reached the familiar hospital. He had run 2 kilometres to the hospital where his mum was at.

He stopped for a few seconds before running in, along the familiar hallways, ignoring the protests of the nurses and doctors, while those who recognised him shot him looks of sympathy.

Stopping in front of the room he knew too well, he heard frantic shouts coming from inside. He wanted to burst in and run to his mum, he wanted to tell himself this was just a dream. Wanted to hear her melodious laughter again. Wanted to hear her voice again. Soon, the shouting had subsided, and Doctor Choi along with a few nurses walked out

"Last few minutes should be spent with her favourite son." He sympathetically patted Renjun on the back. Taking slow and unsteady steps, he opened the door. Seeing his weak and frail mother lying lifeless on the bed, the tears poured out. He ran to the side of the bed.

"Mum..." He choked out in between tears. His shaking hand reached out for his mum's and squeezed the ice cold hand tightly.

"Mum, it's me, Renjun. Please wake up." His tears dripped onto the interlocked hands and the monotonous beeping from the heart monitor started to speed up.

"No... no..." His legs buckled and he kneeled onto the floor.

"Mum... please... don't leave me... you're all I have left..." He could sacrifice anything for her to be alive. To be free of the illness. To be happy again. However, he felt hopeless. He felt small watching as the monster took his mother out of his reach. Through his blurred vision, he saw his mother's long eyelashes flutter.

"Renjun..." Her voice was weak and feeble, he could imagine the tremendous pain she was going through to force those words out.

"Be strong without me... Trust who you really can trust..."

Her voice faded into a whisper, and the rhythmic beating of the heart monitor slowed down to a long flat piercing sound penetrated his ears.

"No! Mum! I'm sorry, please! Don't leave me!" Renjun let out a cry of pain, a cry of hopelessness, a cry of sadness he had been holding for god knows how long.

He gripped tightly onto his mother's hand, even though he knew she was gone, and nothing, nothing in this world could bring her back.

After 10 long years of battling this illness with nobody but her son to take care of her, she was gone.

If I told you Renjun was a broken boy, I take back my words, for that night was the night Huang Renjun truly fell apart.