A Recollection

The foul metallic scent filled the air as it swirled around the room, seeming as if it were some kind of creature trying for an escape. That... That monster, with no other words to describe it, had turned this very place of peace and harmony into a vile, twisted, corrupt, gory mess. The gardens now covered in a horrifying image of red paint.

Bodies of the ones who tried to fight back were the first to soak the grass. The rest of the people that were called to attend the ceremony tried to run...

However, they too bathed in their own blood.

It flew from one person to the next with a crimson line following its blurred figure as only one swipe flew towards each individual. And all it seemed to take was that one slice to tear a person's flesh apart, and then they'd be left to lie on the soft grass.

As its blade passed through each and every person it came across, a wicked line flew from its victims leaving a trail of how the blade had passed through. It only took a few minutes to turn this annual reunion into a completely decimated wasteland.

I was one of the only survivors... There were only four others who survived alongside me.

I held my mother's hand as we ran from that... that, that thing. She told me to run, run as fast as I could. I... I was seven at that time... I didn't want to let go of my mother's hand... I never realised how bad it felt to lose someone.

Her blood still haunts me to this very day...

It coursed over me like a warm blanket as she was ripped apart right in front of my very eyes. And yet I still didn't let go, that was until I looked up at the one who did this to her.

It didn't look like anything I'd ever seen before, not a man nor monster... And yet, it wasn't a demon like the people screamed. Even as the blood on its blade dripped upon the floor with soft taps, I stared into that thing's hollow white eyes as it stared back into mine. It was as if it were a shadow, an unfathomable creature was standing before me, as blackness swirled around it like smoke to a flame.

A mask covered everything other than its eyes, which seemed to glow brighter than anything I had ever seen in my entire life...

And although it had mercilessly butchered all of those people, not a speck of blood was spilt on the darkened black armour it wore. It moved as much as I did, and stricken with terror, I stayed rooted to the ground. We just stared at each other as if everything had come to a standstill.

And after a moment, with less hesitation than before, the monster began to move toward me.

Fear coursed through my veins and I screamed as I dashed away. However, it persistently pursued me, stopping me from escaping its grasp, then it placed a hand over my chest.

I... I remember nothing after that event. Nor do I remember the faces of who died that day.

It was as if they had never even existed, they were nothing more than a blank memory, and not even my mother's face remained...

Nightmares haunt the five of us now more than anything...

_________

Another author's note here.

This is actually another project I had in my creative writing class back in high school. I didn't edit it, mainly cause I can't remember where I was going with it...