three ✿ friends

THE GREEN DOOR AT THE front of the Forman house warns of something cheery inside—just what Evangeline needs after the past week or so she's had

THE GREEN DOOR AT THE front of the Forman house warns of something cheery inside—just what Evangeline needs after the past week or so she's had. She raises her hand to knock, but before she can, it opens to Kitty's smiling face. Clad in a loud, floral-print dress, kitten heels (and Evangeline can't help but love the irony), and a loving grin. She's holding a plate of cookies and Evangeline decides Mrs. Forman's the cutest and kindest person she's ever met. Just the kind of mother Evangeline had always pictured her own becoming.

          "Evangeline! Hi, come in!" Kitty steps to the side and ushers her in quickly, the rain that's been falling steadily for a week soaking her to the bone. This on top of the three hours of sleep she got the night before, her day was obviously going great. "I saw you walk up the driveway and then stand at the door for five minutes and—dear, you're sopping wet! We'll go up to Laurie's room and get you something to wear, okay?"

          Evangeline nods, shivering as she clutches her sides and follows Mrs. Forman up the stairs to her daughter's empty room. Kitty talks quickly about how her week has gone and what everyone's been up to, and Evangeline wonders if this woman ever has any female company in this house. Kitty is surrounded by her husband, son, and son's best friend with her only daughter who knows where and Evangeline wasn't sure about friends. Kitty has always seemed to her the type to make friends with any and everyone, but as she starts to dive into more intimate topics about her life, Evangeline wonders who she has to share them with.

          Evangeline tentatively opens up one of Laurie's dresser drawers, careful not to drip on anything. She is greeted by the sight of lacy lingerie, the sheer quantity of which makes her eyes bug out of her head. She quickly shuts the drawer as Mrs. Forman digs through another smaller chest on the other side of the room.

          Kitty turns around holding up a pair of shiny spandex leggings and an extra large U-Madison sweatshirt with a frown. "There isn't much by the way of clothes since Laurie's been gone, but she keeps some here for when she runs out of money." She scrunches up her nose in a way that makes Evangeline believe that Kitty isn't too keen on Laurie coming back home. "If you need to borrow underwear, it's all clean. It might be a little weird, and Laurie's selection is—different—but it's there if you need it."

          The blonde graciously accepts the clothes and a towel from Laurie's bathroom out of Mrs. Forman's hands and gives her a small smile. "It's perfect. You're too kind."

          Kitty blushes and waves her off with her signature laugh. "I'm just being neighborly! Now, you get changed and I'll throw your clothes in the dryer, okay?"Evangeline nods and Kitty slips out of the room, shutting the door behind her.

Peeling off her current outfit is painful and takes almost five minutes to do, and drying off with the towel does little to help. She slides open the undergarment drawer, thinking about to what degree of weird it is to wear a virtual stranger's underwear, and decides wearing their clothes is strange enough and shuts it again. She manages to slip into Laurie's leggings, which are way too tight to be acceptable in polite company, and pulls the sweatshirt over her head, which is about three sizes too big. It makes her feel more secure when it falls down to mid-thigh, and surprisingly comfortable, like wearing a blanket with arm-holes.