seven ✿ you shook me

WHEN HYDE WAKES UP THE next morning, his bed is empty and a pair of sweatpants are folded neatly on top of his dresser accompanied by a scrap of paper with the words I told you I'd return them scribbled across it. Hyde smiles and picks the pants up, watching as they unfurl towards the dirty floor. In all honesty, if she had never given them back, that would have been alright with him.

He slides them on over his bare legs and ruffles his hair as he emerges from his sanctuary to find three teenagers occupying the space in the common area. Hyde groans quietly and sneaks behind them to slowly ascend the stairs. Not that he doesn't like his friends, but this summer with the group fractured and separated across the country and the appearance of Evie have given him a much-needed respite from their constant state of being wherever he is.

The Formans are sitting in the living room when he swings open the door. Red has his head buried in the paper and Kitty is watching some soap opera. It's a typical scene, and one that's begun to feel like home to Hyde, something he didn't think he'd ever get to have. Even though he would never admit it out loud, and can barely admit it to himself, Mr. and Mrs. Forman had become almost like parents to him and he was very grateful they had let him into their home and accepted him as one of their own.

Kitty turns to look at Steven as he saunters in, greeting him in her normal jovial manner. "Good morning, Steven! How'd you sleep?"

Hyde smiles despite himself as an image of Evie curled up in his arms pops into his head. "Wonderfully." He crosses the room as Red gives him a grunt of acknowledgement and shoves his feet into his boots, not even bothering to lace them. "I'll be back, uh, later."

"Where ya goin', honey?" Kitty pulls her lips into her mouth to hide her grin and turns her gaze back towards the TV. "To see a certain blonde, perhaps."

Hyde grimaces as he tugs the door open. "I'm just going for a walk."

"Oka-ay," Mrs. Forman sings, picking up her mug and taking a sip. "You have fun. Say hi to Evangeline for me."

Steven shuts them door, blocking his view of a giggling Kitty and a smirking Red and starts down the driveway, his footfalls heavy and slow. He heads down the street, passing house after house, first Donna's, then the blue house with all the birdhouses, then Evangeline's old house. The midday sun beats down on his head; his sunglasses do very little to help with the brightness of the day.

          As he continues onto the next street over, secretly wishing he'd chosen a light-color tee instead of the worn, black Zeppelin tee he's had for years, he realizes how long it's been since he just walked. The sounds of summer, kids playing in their yards, parents mowing lawns, families splashing around in pools, provide background for his thoughts. The one that holds a prominent position in the front of his mind is how this walk would be infinitely better with Evie by his side.

          By the time he realizes it, Hyde has walked the two miles to Evie's grandmother's house. The driveway is empty and the garage open, with no cars indicating Maggie Ross is not home. He pauses in front of the lawn, his eyes wandering over all the flowers growing along the front of the house and along the white picket-fence separating Evie from the world. He hadn't consciously intended on showing up here, but maybe he had the idea tucked away into a corner of his mind.

           When he's been standing there staring at their house long enough for the neighbor's to start to worry and call the cops on him or something, he decides to leave her alone. If she'd wanted to see him today, she would have stayed longer this morning instead of leaving like a shamed one-night stand. Before he has the time to cross the few yards to the next house, a voice calls out his name from inside the house.