eleven ✿ rock and roll

INDECISION PLAGUES HYDE FOR a week, the inability for him to choose where to take Evie on their date hollowing his confidence. He hasn't had much practice in planning dates, being more of a love 'em and leave 'em kinda guy. For him, a date was always: see a girl, make out with her, bring her home, send her away. Rarely did he see a girl more than once.

          With Evie, everything's different. They're not just lovers passing each other in the night, they're friends too. As much time as they spend in bed, they spend an equal amount of time talking and laughing and enjoying each other's company.

          He expressed his concerns earlier in the week to Evie, who simply shrugged and told him she wouldn't care if their date was just sitting on the hood of his car eating fast food. Evangeline assured him it isn't about what they do, but it's the thought that counts. She added that she's also fine if they just hang out at Eric's or go for a drive, that she doesn't need a fancy date because she already likes him enough.

          Which gives him nothing.

So he goes to Mrs. Forman, one of the only people whose opinion matters to him, though he'd never admit that to anyone.

          "Why don't you take her to that musical festival in Milwaukee this weekend? Some rock band with a metal in their name are gonna be there; I heard it's your kind of music." Kitty beams at the curly-haired boy as she darns a hole in a colorful sweater. She very much approves of the two getting together; she believes it's just what those two wayward souls need.

Hyde raises his eyebrows in surprise. The fact that Mrs. Forman is up-to-date on the happenings in the popular scene is something unexpected. "You mean Summerfest?"

Kitty nods enthusiastically, her hands moving faster as she becomes excited. "Yeah, that was it! You should take Evangeline. I hear festivals can be romantic." She waggles her eyebrows and shakes her torso like she's trying to dance in her seat.

Hyde chuckles and shakes his head slightly. "Maybe. I'll see what Evie thinks."

"No! Be spontaneous! It'll be more romantic."

"Sure, Mrs. Forman," Hyde says warily, looking around the room before giving the lady a quick kiss on the forehead. "Have fun sewing."

Hyde mulls over Mrs. Forman's suggestion as he goes to bed that night. On the one hand, music festivals are cool and he knows that Evie is a fan of most of the same music as Hyde, at least the ones that matter most, so she'd probably enjoy the festival. On the other hand, he wasn't quite sure how it would be romantic like Mrs. Forman said it would. The only thing it might give them is an opportunity to enjoy themselves without the threat of one of their friends ruining their alone time.

The next morning, he forgoes being spontaneous and calls Evie at her grandma's house. The phone rings twice before Maggie picks up. "Hello, this is Maggie."

"Mrs. Ross, it's Steven. Evie there?" He rolls his lips over his teeth as the sound of Maggie breathing filling the receiver.

Maggie hums, and mumbles something about getting the blonde girl. A soft thud tells him she's set down the handset. It takes longer than he expected for her voice to come over the speaker, but as soon as it does he smiles despite himself. "Hi, Steven. I was just about to come over there. What's up?"