Chapter 5

We were now hiding inside where the dead people were stored. I was next to Brody as Dad was in between Summer and Brody.

(A/N: SUMMER ON THE LEFT, THE DEAD BODY, YOUR DAD, BRODY AND THEN YOU)

"I don't like confined spaces." Brody whispered as he tried to be comfortable while Dad shushed him.

"This was a bad idea."

"Stop being a baby."

"Oh my god." Brody gasped as he looks under him to see a dead body.

"Shut your mouth. You're gonna get us caught."

"I'm laying on a dead old lady."

"Well, she's not going to bite you, for Christ's sakes. Will you shut up?"

"Our drawers are empty. Why did you pick that one?" I asked.

"I'm the only one with a body in my drawer?"

"Sh-shut up!"

"She smells like cheese toast and chowder."

"Holy Christ. You just tickled another man's taint. Who gives a shit right now?" Dad whispered.

I then see Brody about to lose it when something dripped on his face.

"What is it?"

Another drip landed on his face.

"Nothing's dripping on me." Summer said.

I then hear footsteps getting louder and louder when all of a sudden, someone opened Rodriguez' drawer.

"It's him."

They said as they pulled him out.

Summer then took out her phone and started to record their conversation.

"Rodriguez. It is him. You got the fake files?" One of them said as the other one pulled out pieces of paper.

"Relax. We're only here cause you broke his fucking neck." Before you know it, something landed in Brody's mouth as he finally lost it.

He kicked his drawer open and landed on the floor. 

"Hey, gentlemen. Now that that's over, I'm gonna need those files." Brody said as he cleared his throat.

Just then, Summer's phone started to ring. Sooner or later, the guy started to reach for her phone, making her drop it.

Just then, we all got out of our drawers and jumped to action.

One of them punched Brody's face before they both ran out of the room with Summer's phone.

We all then started to run after them but they ended up splitting up as Dad started to run after the black one.

We then decided to meet him at the beach.

TIME SKIP

We were then walking through the office to talk to Ellerbee.

"All right, Ellerbee, what did we learn from the perps after the interrogation?" Dad asked the cop.

"They only perps here are you four. Okay, you turned the canals into the goddamned X games."

"Yeah, that's cause we were in lifeguard pursuit." Brody said, making us nod in agreement.

"Oh, okay. My bad. Except for there's no fucking thing as 'lifeguard pursuit'! Police do pursuits! When you do it, it's just some guys chasing some other guys. No offense." He told Summer and I.

"None taken."

"Hey, what are you saying? You're just gonna let those guys walk?" I asked Ellerbee.

"Okay, um, how do I explain this so that you people understand?"

"You people? You people?" Brody asked, offended.

"Oh, you don't get to say that. You're just tan." Dad says, whispering in his ear.

"Right on." Ellerbee said, fistbumping Dad.

"Look, even if you were police, which you're not, and even if this was your jurisdiction, which it isn't, and even if you had probable cause to pursue, which you definitely don't, what you did would still be totally illegal." Ellerbee said as Dad started to nod.

"Okay, well, I mean, it's a good thing we're not police, then."

"It's like you purposely only hear 1% of what I say." Ellerbee says as his boss walks in.

"Mitch, did you pull Brody off the beach to break into the medical examiner's office today?"

"Yeah, you bet I did. Absolutely, 100% and here's why. The councilman's boating accident was no accident at all. He had no smoke in his lungs, his neck was broken in multiple places which means he was probably dead before that boat caught on fire. And our investigation had found that all of this shady shit leads right back to the Huntley." Dad said, admitting he did.

"You don't do investigations. You're lifeguards. Police do investigations. When you do it, it's just a bunch of guys investigating another bunch of guys. No offense, you're included in that." He said to Summer and I as we both shrug our shoulders.

"Do you have any proof of this conspiracy?"

"Yeah, Absolutely. We read the coroner's report. It's all in there before those guys switched it."

"Yeah, and she recorded the whole thing on her cell phone." I said, pointing to Summer.

"Where's the cell phone?" Ellerbee asked.

"They destroyed it." Summer said, looking at them.

"Oh. Okay. So the only evidence that you had was destroyed."

"Exactly! All the evidence... pfft! Gone. Doesn't exist." Brody said with hand motions.

"They're bad guys and they don't want us to have it." Summer said, making me agree with her.

"Okay. Let me try to explain this to you in a way you people would understand..."

"You people? There it is again. There it is again." Brody said, as Dad was calming him down.

"All right, now, look. Leave law enforcement to the police. Okay? And you guys just do the jobs that I hired you to do. You remember? The lifeguard stuff." He said, making swimming gestures.

"Splash, splash." Ellerbee said, going along with it.

"Otherwise, I'll fire you. Now I gotta go clean Ha this mess that you made." He said before leaving the room.

Sooner or later, the black guy was walking past us with a smirk as Captain Thorpe was speaking to him.

We then start to do our own thing as Dad and Brody inspect the Fish Company.