Chapter 6: Town-folks

This chapter may contain themes of, not very good things that may upset you. Please proceed with caution while reading this chapter if you are sensitive and/or softhearted. You have been warned.

Crunch! Crunch! Crunch! 
The sounds of their footsteps colliding and pushing against the grass, they were already heading to their next destination, Fort Foxtrot. They had already packed food and clean water, they brought along their old weapons while Hans brought his own, a crowbar. Far out in the distance, they saw a town, there were no fires, although it seemed deserted and destroyed. The sun scorched them on the way there, lighting up their already destroyed path. Had it not been only days since the start of this all? "Right, I forgot about the part where North experienced the infection first before your town, making them a bit more dead, but a little more prepared. You get what I mean?" Hans explained, confusing the group even more. But they continued to walk, they weren't the slightest bit of tired, they were excited, inspired even. Sure their sweat poured out of their skin making them look like they just went swimming and got out of the water and started walking towards the nearby city immediately, but this didn't stop them, not even a bit. They were halfway to the town when they see two figures just sitting there, almost motionless. The taller one was covering his face with his hand, obscuring it, he seemed to regret whatever action he had done minutes earlier. The smaller one was a... girl, so young and so innocent, Kyle had a bad feeling about whatever was to happen next. "Should we, talk to them?" John asked, waiting for their opinion. Yeses and no's scattered among the group, Kyle along with John and Hans had outnumbered Justin and Arkin's choice. They were going to check out the two mysterious people. Moments later, they had already ran towards the two, alerting them of their presence. "Who are you? Please don't hurt us! We've just done something very terrible and we don't want any more trouble!" the older one yelled, his voice trembling horribly, crying almost. The girl held his hand, comforting him, yet they were as scared as ever. "Relax, we're just like you, we're not gonna hurt you." Hans reassured, calming them down. "Care to explain what horrible thing you have done?" Kyle asked while examining their faces, the older one had looked to be around 19, it looked as if he was the older brother of the girl, he had a charming face but it had terrible scratches on them, they had to go through some traumatizing things just to stand before them right now. The girl, so unaware of the tension, looked to be around 9. She looked so clueless about the world, the sun lighting up their brown hair, Kyle had already planned to raise her the right way, to be strong and brave, yet gentle and kind. He wanted to raise the little girl, with her...

While Kyle was distracted with his thoughts, the brother finally opened his mouth to explain their past. 

They had a family, a good one. Their parents were protective yet loose, supportive and very warm and welcoming. They had everything they wanted, enough amounts of money, friends and family that would back them up no matter what the situation. Their parents would always tuck them in bed, love pouring through every action, open to whatever idea they had. It all started to fall apart only days later after the infection had spread, they were in their house, doing their household chores. It was all normal when the door was pushed in, the hinges were torn off the door post. Zombies came pouring in, their parents had fought them off, ushering their children to get upstairs and find another way out while they hold the infected off. The brother had broken open a window that led to their backyard, it seemed to be open and free of any zombie. He had called for his parents' attention when his younger sister started to cry. Tears dropped down, she was scared, panicked. His parents had locked the door that separated them from the stairs, they weren't safe, the door could give up any second now. "What do we do?" His father asked his mother, stressed yet still trying to think of a way to save their children. His mother looked down the window he had broken down, "We can jump down there from here, I think we can." Stressed his mother. "Honey, you go down first, then you'll catch me, then Stella, and then Jason." His father followed through with his wife's plan, jumping down from the second floor, landing and rolling immediately to absorb the sudden stop properly. Next, his mother leaped down, his father catching her safely, he then commented about his back, lifting the mood just by a little. It was Stella, his sister's turn. His parent's arm extended upwards, ready to catch their innocent daughter, he turned to his sister. "Do you trust me?" He asked, his sister only answered with a nod. Jason had lifted up his sister by the arms, carrying her carefully outside the window. He swung her backwards, and when the momentum seemed right, he let go.