37

Fast forward two more weeks and yep you guessed it right, we are still in the hospital so let's mark one month down. During those two weeks we got news that the chemo has officially stopped the spread of his cancer and they are looking at releasing him in a couple of weeks if everything goes well. I could already tell that Alex was getting better except for the part where we had to shave his head because he was losing hair but anyways he still looks as handsome as ever, hair or no hair.

It's one in the morning right now and everyone's fast asleep except for me. I stare out the window and at the stars, wondering how in the world did I get here.

I'm almost asleep when I hear a dozen beeps coming from his machine. I look over at Alex and immediately jump out of my seat. He's shaking uncontrollably and it looks like he's choking on his own spit. I rush out of the room, calling for help from anyone who will give it. A bunch of nurses get up from their chairs and rush past me.

I watch, horrified as a pair of nurses hold him down on the bed as another tries to give him something. His parents are up now and watching with horrified expressions at the scene before them.

They finally get him to calm down and I can hear one of them order for him to be taken up to get a MRI. I watch them as they wheel him in front of me and then off behind a set of doors.

I was just there, I had just looked at him and seconds later he was doing that. This can't be good, my brother never did that so there has to be something else wrong with Alex.

Few hours later......

They brought him back to the room an hour later, he was fast asleep when they brought him. One of the nurses described that he had a seizure and that we would know more when they got the test results back later.

"Good evening," his cancer doctor greets us as he approaches Alex.

I look up from my position on the couch. Once you're in this place for longer than a week you become used to sleeping on a couch, not the most comfortable places to sleep but I'm not leaving, plus I'm exempt from classes so I don't necessarily have to go back to campus right now.

"The test results came back and it shows that Alex has what we call a small tumor on the side of his brain," his parents look like they're about to pass out at his words, "now we will be able to remove it in surgery, so no harm should come to Alex."

"Surgery," her words come out in a whisper.

"Yes, shouldn't take no longer than a couple of hours to remove it."

"When?" His dad is the next one to speak.

"We would like to take him up now to remove it before it can progress further."

At the sound of his words a group of nurses come into the room and start preparing him for travel. I'm speechless as I watch them start to take him away again. This can't be happening, cancer and now a brain tumor, you know I believe in bad things happening to people but this is just something else.

A couple more hours later.....

I look up at the sound of wheels on the floor coming towards me. My eyes go over the huge white roll of gauze wrapped around his head. At least it covered up some of his baldness, I don't mean to be rude I'm just trying to be positive.

I'm surprised to see him awake after just having someone operate on his brain. His doctor pulls his parents out of the room, leaving the two of us alone.

I look over at Alex, unsure of what to say because the last time we talked it was about him dying. He must have noticed the tension between us and gives me a smile.

"I'm sorry," his apology shocks me.

"You don't have anything to be sorry for," I tell him.

"I've been a total jerk."

"Well I can't deny that," I smile at him.

He gives me one back, making the tension between us go away.

"How do you feel?" I ask him.

"Good, for the first time in a month I feel good, well except for the part where I just came out of surgery."

"Yeah."

It goes silent between us. I play with the torn fabric on my jeans, finding nothing else to do.

"Austin," it comes out barely audible.

I look up at him, seeing that he's staring at me.

"I know this isn't the most preferable choice to ask this and you probably would like me to take you out on a date or something and then ask but considering the position we're in right now I don't think that will be possible."

My eyebrows go up at his words, what is he wanting to ask me? It better not be to marry him because I just met him a month ago and even though I'm all for the whole you know when you know, I'm not marrying him if that's what he's thinking I'll do, at least not right now.

"Will you be my boyfriend?"

Oh, so that's what he wanted to ask. Well that's a lot better than the marrying thing. I give him a smile, relieved that after a month of waiting he's finally ready.

"Yes, Alex I will gladly go out with you."

He gives me the biggest smile and I can't help but lean over, kissing him. All I can think about is I don't know what's going to happen a few months down the road, if he's going to live or not but it doesn't matter, all that matters is that Alex is mine and nothing will change that.