41

"Alex there's someone at the door for you," my moms voice comes from the hallway.

I look over at Austin with a confused look. He shrugs his shoulders as he gets up and grabs the handles to my wheelchair. Since chemotherapy I could no longer walk which sucked because I had to depend on people to take me everywhere.

My mom holds the door open for me as Austin pushes me through it. My eyes land on Ethan and as much as I want to I stop myself from forcing Austin to take me back inside. Then to my surprise, he leaves me outside with Ethan. I'm guessing this was a part of their plan or something.

"What?" I didn't mean to be rude but at the same time I did.

Ethan looks at me and then averts his eyes quickly. I get it, I'm in a wheelchair so I have to get used to those looks from everybody.

"I just wanted to ask you if you wanted to go on a walk or something."

I shake my head, pointing to the chair. "Kind of can't."

He looks at the chair as if he's just now seeing it but I know it wasn't, I knew he saw it as soon as I came out here.

"How are you feeling?"

"Terrible as usual."

He nods his head. It goes silent between us and I'm desperately wishing for Austin to come out here and save me.

"Look I forgive you, okay I said it, I forgive you." I'm shocked to hear the words come out of my mouth.

He seems shocked also at the sound of my words.

"Thanks."

I nod my head, "no problem."

As the words leave my mouth Austin comes back outside. I'm guessing he was standing behind the door that wasn't actually closed and listening in on our conversation, waiting for me to say the words that I forgiven him.

"Okay let's go on a walk," he announces.

I look up at him as he grabs the handles of my chair and starts pushing. "Wait what."

Ethan falls beside me to match our stride.

"We're going on a walk. You and I both need a break from the inside. We've been in there for hours."

"That's not my fault," I grumble at him.

"Really, because I could of swore it was your choice to stay inside instead of going to the aquarium like your mom wanted us to."

"Okay smartass, nobody asked you."

Ethan laughs at my words and Austin joins in. Soon I have to let out a small laugh just because I didn't want to be the only one not laughing.

"So Ethan, what have you been up to?" I could tell that Austin was trying to be his friendly self and start a conversation with him.

"Nothing much, just school and stuff."

"Oh so you're still going to school, see Austin here just stopped going once I became sick."

I can tell that Ethan was looking at Austin,

"That's not smart."

"I was exempted from class."

"Still not smart."

"I'll go back next year or something and just do the classes."

"When I'm dead and you don't have to worry about me anymore."

I hear them both go silent at my response. "Oops did I say that out loud?"

"I think it's time to go back," Austin turns me around.

I can tell that I hit a nerve in them both as we walk back in silence. Austin stays outside with Ethan when we get back and I can't help but wonder what they're talking about.