42

A month later....

Something was wrong. Something was terribly wrong. I woke up in the middle of the night, my whole body felt like it was on fire. Awful pain radiated throughout my body, hitting every single bone. I sat up in bed, grabbing for the trashcan. It seemed like hours waiting for the puking feeling to come but it never did.

Austin was fast asleep beside me, he had become used to me waking up at odd hours of the night so whenever I did it now he usually stayed asleep. As the days went by the pain got worse until the point where I found myself taking a bunch of painkillers and even then I was still in pain.

"Come on," I whisper into the darkness, hoping that it would get me to puke so I could go back to sleep.

Still nothing came and the pain was getting worse. Then out of nowhere I could feel my whole body as if it was letting go. I was starting to get scared and desperately slapped at Austin. He moans in his sleep but doesn't get up.

Something was wrong, this wasn't like all the other times. The pain was spreading everywhere and soon it was behind my eyes. I could barely stand to keep my eyes open as I tried to wake Austin up. I could feel him move behind me.

"Austin," I yelled not caring that my parents were asleep a few feet from us.

It was as if my yelling woke the whole world up. I felt Austin scramble out of bed and the room lit up behind my eyelids. I couldn't force my eyes open and I could no longer hold myself up anymore as I sank back down on the bed.

Someone grabs my hands, "Alex!" His voice echos around the inside of my head.

I wanted so desperately to answer him but I couldn't open my eyes or speak. Then out of nowhere the world went silent, it was like everything was gone. I could still feel some pain but not much, not as bad as it was seconds ago. Slowly, everything disappeared....

Austin's POV

"Austin!" Alex's voice jerks me awake. I hadn't noticed that he was awake.

His yelling had woke up his parents, them storming into the room. I scrambled out of bed to turn on some light and then immediately went back to Alex. His eyes were closed and he had laid back down. I thought he had went back to sleep but his skin was starting to turn a light bluish purple color.

I grabbed his hand, "Alex!" I was hoping that by yelling it would wake him up but it didn't.

I could hear his mom behind me start to sob. We all knew what was going on. This was the moment that we all dreaded. The doctor had given us a few months but in reality it was just going to be two months with him not a few months. I was helpless as I watched him slip away quietly. His hand that was around mine started to lose its grip and that's when I knew he was gone. The Alex I had grown to love, the contagious smile of his and his positive personality was gone and there was nothing that I could do to get him back.

"Alex, my baby!" His mom was beside me now, grabbing his arm since I had his hand. Tears were flowing down her cheeks and she looked like her whole world was just ripped from underneath her feet.

A second later I felt his dads hand on my shoulder, squeezing it. I knew that he was trying to comfort me the best he could. Then out of nowhere I let the tears fall and my heart shatter into a million pieces. I had prepared myself for this moment ever since I first saw him lying in that hospital bed, looking as if he could die right there. I spent days and nights telling myself that when this moment came and it was going to that I wouldn't cry that I would be ready for it. Now, looking at Alex's face, taking in every freckle and birthmark on his right cheek, I knew that nothing in the world could prepare me for this.

My Alex was gone. He was gone....