Chapter 2: The past

After Mrs.Gretchen gets me an ice cold cup of water and asks me if I'm 'ok' for the 100th time in the row, my mind races to the recent events that have occurred. I recall every minor detail from start to finish. Everything.

I remember having to deal with my mother's alcoholic tendencies and her negligence towards me. Her rejection. I remember having to work multiple jobs to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table. Then CPS came along. It wasn't the first time either. I remember being taken away from my mother again because of her problems. But, I wasn't worried because we always somehow ended up together in the long run. While I was in the orphanage for days (possibly even weeks) at a time, my mother would be "changing her ways." After "fixing her problems", we would be together again.

Then everything changed. I was taken away from my mother again (no surprise there) and I landed back in the orphanage. This is when everything took a turn. I remember that day like it happened a mere minutes ago.

It was 5:00 P.M. and the sun was setting. I sat near a window looking at the beautiful mush and mixture of yellow, red, and orange the sun illuminated. It was gorgeous and took my mind off of the reality that I was stuck in an orphanage while my mother was battling her addiction. I wondered how could the sun shine so brightly? How could it be so beautiful and seem so perfect. But as you got closer, you can see the sun emits harmful deadly waves.

   Midway through my thoughts I heard a knock on the door and told them to come in. I look to see that it is the supervisor of the orphanage.

"Pack your bags, you're leaving," she says. I thought nothing of it. But it did strike me as odd that I was being picked up from the orphanage this early. Regardless I packed my bags and headed downstairs. The face I was expecting to see was not there.

I saw a face of a woman who had strong cheekbones that uplifted her chocolate complexion face. Her hair was cut in a bob that was long in the front and short in the back. Her hairstyle complimented her long, prominent face. She gave off a very classy aura that made me want to be on my best behavior. The woman called herself Mrs.Gretchen and claimed to be an "old friend" of my mother.

All of that has lead me to the present where I'm about 32,000 feet above ground flying in an airplane with my mothers "old friend." I take a sip of water and yet it still doesn't get rid of the bitter taste in my mouth.

"Uh-hm," Mrs.Gretchen clears her throat and proceeds to say, "There are a few things I have to tell you." I make eye contact and nod.

   She continues to say, "Mr.Gretchen, my husband, and I have a lot of kids who are a... expressive... and a little... different... from you." I instantly realize she put huge emphasis on expressive and different. Curiosity bubbles inside of me wondering exactly who these kids are and what makes them so 'expressive' and 'different'.

I settle on saying, "It's going to be fine. I'll try my best to get along with all of your children and to not cause any additional trouble." Mrs.Gretchen stares at me a while before sighing. Her eyes meet mine. I could see disappoint and guilt shining in those brown eyes of hers.

"What's wrong," I ask not knowing what I said to make her sigh. I take another sip of my ice cold water.

"It's just, you don't have to act like that. You don't have to be so uptight around me. Carmen you can loosen up and tell me everything on your mind. If you want something, say you want it. If you want to cry, cry on my shoulder. If you're not actually happy don't force a smile. I want you to be genuinely happy," Mrs.Gretchen says warmly while staring at me intently. I can't hide anything from her. She reads me like an open book.

I feel this warm feeling creep inside. This warm feeling puts a small smile on my face. Even though things have been going south, maybe it'll turn around. Maybe, just maybe, this won't be such a bad experience. Maybe I can escape that horrid past of mine.

•••••

Finally, Mrs.Gretchen and I make it to Michigan landing in DTW airport after the short flight from New York. I lived in New York my whole life. So living or staying anywhere else is very un-natural.

After weaving and navigating through the airport Mrs.Gretchen and I make it to the car. I see that she is sporting a black BMW with probably the nicest rims I've ever seen in my lifetime that wasn't a picture. The black coat paint on the shines and gleams. I am practically blinded by it. I already assumed that Mrs.Gretchen lives in a higher class than me by just looking at her clothes and the classy aura she gives off. But, it's different to think it than see it.

I climb into the back of the car even though Mrs.Gretchen offers me a ride into the front. I fall back into the nice comfortable leather seats. I am careful not to touch anything afraid I'll break it. I know I can't possibly afford to break a single thing in this car.

As we drive I take in the beautiful scenery that passes by. I observe the plains that showcase tall untamed grass. The sun shone brightly as if it's a brand new day. Nature everywhere with the occasional town. The blue cloudy sky is so visible. Unlike New York, Michigan isn't filled with towering skyscrapers that blocks the sky. I catch myself liking Michigan's scenery and finding it refreshing.

For the rest of the car ride I enjoy the scenery and make small talk with Mrs.Gretchen. I find out that she's a pretty funny person and is brutally honest (which I personally like). I can see how likable she is and how naturally people must gravitate to her. I can see myself getting along with her in the future.

"We're almost there." I look up from my hands to see us enter a very nice and expensive looking neighborhood. All of the houses are HUGE and have the same architectural design but with twists for each house. I am in complete awe, which is natural since I used to live in a 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment, with a living room, a small kitchen that was nonexistent, and a makeshift dining room.

Mrs.Gretchen pulls up to a grayish- blue house that from far away seems perfect, but the closer you got the more you could see all kinds of scratches and dents which I assume are from her kids.

This is really happening, this is really happening, I repeat to myself over and over again. I start dripping sweat and tap my feet repeatedly.

I look in the rear view mirror to make sure I looked somewhat presentable. My unruly curly dark brown hair was out and free. I fumble with my red headband that stood out against my plain black t-shirt and my ancient black jeans. My brown skin seems to glow because of the setting suns light that illuminates on my face.

"We're here... uh-huh so get everybody ready," Mrs.Gretchen says then hangs up the phone.

She looks back at me and asks, "You ready for the best fun in your life, kiddo?"

I awkwardly smile and reply, " As ready as I'll ever be."

•••

Authors note:

So Carmen is about to meet her new "family"!!! Of course truth comes out and reality hits. Anyway I hope you enjoyed and hope you have a lovely day 😁😁