Chapter 11: Operation: Get Closer to the Guys

The character list:

~Mr and Mrs.Gretchen
~Lucas (the college student with blond hair)
~Noah (the adorable one)
~Shawn (the smart one)
~Lance (the one who talked about Carmen's flaws)
~Dontae (the angry one who doesn't  like Carmen)
~Justin (the nice one who is friendly)
~Christian( the one who made a grand entrance)

———————————————————————

The next day I come up with Operation: Get Closer with the Guys. The boys have been less hostile to me overall, but I still feel the gap between us. We have an upcoming week-long break that I do not understand what it's for. But I guess the rich can do whatever they want. I'm going to use this time to get closer to the boys individually.

Justin and I have a little movie night and I tell him my plan. His body sits up from the floor as he listens closely while chewing on Skittles. He hangs on my every word as if I'm the next billionaire.

"That sounds like a good idea," Justin says with a 'but' look on his face. He pauses the movie and has full attention on me.

"But what?" I brace myself for whatever he is about to say next. I squeeze the popcorn container tighter until my knuckles lose color. My teeth nib at my lip slightly causing a little pain.

"But make sure you stay...safe. We are, you know, boys after all. Boys can do dumb stuff. But don't get me wrong I'm not doubting my brothers-,"

Justin stops talking when he notices my huge smile. I try to force the corners of my mouth to go down, but they do not seem to budge. It's moving against my own will.

"Why are you smiling like that?"

"It makes me happy that my trusty ally cares about me so much." I joke as I widen my smile even more.

Justin's cheeks turn red like the pack of Skittles he's eating. The tips of his ears change colors as well hinting to his embarrassment. Justin's gorgeous brown eyes dart around the living room refusing to make eye contact with me. He fidgets on the floor moving his legs up and down and taps the floor rhythmically not missing a beat. It's pretty cute to see Justin so flustered and embarrassed.

"But I'll warn you to be especially wary of Christian. You know about his...tendencies. I'm, sure he won't do anything, but it's better safe than sorry."

"That I do know of." I sigh exasperatedly. I grab another handful of popcorn. For me, personally, eating is a great coping method. My habit definitely has worsen since hanging around Laura.

"Yeah... Carmen can I ask you a question?" Justin asks suddenly serious, his brown eyes boring into mine.

"Fire away." I give him permission.

"Why are you here? How did you end up here? What exactly happened?" Justin asks with his eyes full of curiosity.

I freeze in my spot. That warm, carefree feeling that I felt before has completely vanished. It disappeared. I'm forced to go through everything, again.

Justin notices my hesitation and quickly apologizes, "I'm sorry that was rude of me. I shouldn't have forced that on you. It's just that you are on mysterious person Carmen."

"It's ok. It's normal to feel curious. Especially about someone that lives in your house."

Silence washes over us. It's very awkward but I can't bring myself to say anything. Nothing at all. My mind is too busy flashing images of my past at me. Almost daunting me.