ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟙

Tommy was sitting in his office checking over some paperwork for the betting den when he received a phone call.

"Hello Mr Shelby, this is Sister Joan from Camden Orphanage for troubled children"

"and how can I help you, Sister Joan?"

"Well in the event of a child's 17th birthday, we must call a living parent to take them off our hands"

"But I don't have any children"

"There is a 17-year-old girl here by the name of Evrena Grace and her mother was a woman named Maria Graciella, but she went by the surname of Grace."

"I recognise the name"

"Well Mr Shelby, she was a lady of the night and you are an apparent accidental father"

"Why wasn't I informed before?"

"Well had Evrena been at a normal orphanage, you would have been informed straight away, but Evrena was sent to this orphanage due to behavioural issues and problems with the police in Camden. Usually, a child would stay with us for 5 years and then they would be informed but due to some issues it was postponed and she's been with us for 9 years now."

"And what proof do you have that this is my daughter"

"Well you're in her birth certificate Mr Shelby"

"Right, well I will be discussing this with my family and I will call you tomorrow to further arrange this"

"Of course Mr Shelby, when you call ask for Sister Joan"

"Alright"

He hung up.

Tommy was confused, and quite frankly he didn't know whether to even believe the woman because why hadn't he been told before?

Wait, what happens if I don't pick her up? The Sister said that on the event of their 17th birthday they have to be taken off their hands, which means that she'll be what?

Tommy decided that he would call a meeting with his family for the next day to figure out what he should do. Not that John, Arthur or Ada could really help, but he knew that Polly could help him out.

The next Morning

Tommy stood at the head of the table with his family surrounding him, Polly sat down next to Michael, Ada sat holding Karl, Arthur stood with John, who was smoking and Esme sat on the stairs reading a book.

They were all confused as to why Tommy had called them there as they had only just had a family meeting the day before. They all sat there waiting for Tommy to speak but he wasn't saying anything.

John was the first to speak up

"Tommy why the fuck are we here?"

"One-second John-boy I'm thinking alright"

Arthur piped up

"Yeah John Tom's thinking" Arthur laughs

Tommy lights a cigarette and sits down at the head of the table.

"Alright" he takes a drag of his cigarette

"Alright so, I got a phone call yesterday from an orphanage in Camden Town"

"What, do they want donations?"Poll asked.

"No No Polly, they don't want donations. They called me about a child who they believe is my daughter"

"Fuck off Tom" laughed John.

"You been getting some rich toffs in London Tommy" Arthur laughed and smacked Tommy on the back.

"She is a 17-year-old girl and her name is Evrena Graciella and they have told me that I am the name of her father on the birth certificate"

Polly nods thinking about it.

"Did you know the mother?"

"Yes the mother was a whore, that I had connections with in London"

"What if they got it wrong Tom? And What happens to her if you don't pick her up?"

"I don't think they got it wrong because I spent 4 weeks in London and I was her only client. I'm not sure Ada, I think that if I don't pick her up, in a year's time when she's 18 she'll be thrown out onto the streets."

Polly nods along again.

"You get her and you bring her home to her family Thomas, she's spent 17 years away from this family, but she's still a Shelby and she should be with the rest of us"

"I agree, that poor girl needs a home, Tom, go get her"

Polly suddenly asks

"What orphanage is it Thomas, and why weren't you informed before?"

"Well Poll, the orphanage is the Camden orphanage for troubled children"

John starts laughing

"Yeah, she's a Shelby alright, whys she in their Tom?"

"I'm not sure John-boy, You can ask her that when we get there"

"You're definitely gonna go then, Tom?"

"Yes I am, and I'm going to take you and John Arthur."

"Alright we'll be the fucking welcome wagon"

That Evening

Tommy was nervous which never really happened, but at this moment he was. It should've been easy to pick up the phone to let the orphanage know that he was coming the next week, but he couldn't quite believe that he had a daughter and that he'd missed all of childhood.

Thomas picked up the phone and called the number

"Hello this is Camden Orphanage"

"Hello this is Mr Shelby, I'd like to talk to Sister Joan"

"Oh Mr Shelby, we were informed that you would be calling, Sister Joan is just dealing with a child right now but I'll let her know that you're here so she'll be here shortly"

"Alright"

After a few moments, Tommy could hear muffled voices on the other end of the phone.

"Hello Mr Shelby, have you come to a decision on your plans for your daughter?"

"Yes, I will be in London Next Monday"

"Oh God bless you Mr Shelby, Evrena is tough to handle but she has a good heart, she just can't keep quiet in certain situations, and it gets her in trouble."

"Bless God for other things, Sister Joan"

Tommy hung up the phone and sighed.

Tommy was more nervous than he had been before. What if someone tried to take her away from him? What if, no he's Thomas Shelby.

==================================================================

God that was kinda shit, there was way tooo much dialogue, but oh well.

The next chapter is better, I think :)

Abbi