scene fourteen

There actually isn't a quote from the movie for this chapter so I'm putting a random quote in that I didn't use lol

"Now you'll hurt me if you don't trust me"

-

Baby shows up to the barn at two o'clock and is confused when Harry isn't already there, waiting for her by the record player like he usually is. She steps awkwardly into the room, not sure of what to do. She's never been in the barn by herself before and without Harry there it feels like she's intruding.

Not wanting to leave, in fear that Harry will arrive when she's not there, Baby sits on the familiar leather couch in the corner, picking at her cuticles impatiently. She was already risking a lot by even coming to practice, especially after her parent's inquisitive looks when she showed up to their cabin soaking wet yesterday.

"Baby you're soaked! What happened?" her mom asked as Baby swung open the screen door. Baby stuttered nervously trying to think of an excuse, not thinking her family would be in the cabin until later that evening. Apparently, they were all pretty tired and had gone to the cabin to take a nap, which had Baby trapped in a corner, desperately trying to come up with a story that won't expose her and Harry's secret dance practices.

"Oh, I um," Baby stumbled over her words, anxiously looking down at the ground, "I was playing beach volleyball and I stumbled and fell, right into the lake."

Linda sent Baby a skeptical look, seeing right through her excuse as she normally does, but her mom and dad just nod. She's never given them any reason not to trust her. At least, not until now. Baby scurried into her room and closed the door behind her, her heart thumping loudly in her ears at how close she had come to being caught. She isn't exactly sure what would happen if everyone found out she was filling in for Peggy, but she can only imagine how Mr. Freeman would react, seeing as he already doesn't seem to like Harry.

Baby knows now that she has to be more careful when it comes to sneaking off for the practices. The last thing she wants is for Harry and Peggy to lose their jobs and their livelihoods because she was being careless.

Baby sits alone on the couch for a good fifteen minutes, lost in her own thoughts, before Harry comes bursting into the barn in a frenzy, startling her out of her thoughts. Normally it's the other way around – her running late and Harry waiting for her patiently, so to be on the receiving end of a late excuse is extremely foreign to Baby.

"Sorry, my lesson with Mrs. O'Connor ran late," Harry apologizes, walking into the room and taking deep breaths, trying to slow down his heartrate. Baby looks at the man standing before her – his disheveled hair, his unevenly buttoned shirt, his sloppily buckled belt, his pants zipper still unzipped – and realization hits her like a ton of bricks. She saw the way the woman looked at Harry in the gazebo, she may be naïve but she's not stupid.