scene twenty-four

"I don't think it'd be fair to take the money

"I don't think it'd be fair to take the money."

-

Baby doesn't know how she got roped into painting props for the final show, but here she is, absentmindedly adding detail to the trunk of a palm tree. She's set up in the back corner of the theater stage as to not disturb the people practicing for the final show on center stage – her sister being one of them. The room is fairly packed, groups of men playing cards at the tables in the front, staff and guests milling about as they prepare for the show, which is only days away at this point.

Baby's heart wrenches at the thought of having to leave the resort soon. She's had the time of her life here, in her little bubble with Harry, and she doesn't know what she's going to do once she has to leave. She shakes the thought out of her mind for now, though, focusing her attention back to the palm tree she's painting. She wants to enjoy the time she has left with Harry before she has to leave, and she can't do that if she's spending all her time dreading what's to come.

As her mind drifts in and out of thoughts of Harry, she looks over to where he's standing towards the side of the stage. He's currently the only reason why she doesn't mind helping with the show props too much. Since he's head of the entertainment staff, he's in charge of organizing the show, which means he's been bossing people around in his black wifebeater and dress pants all afternoon, stealing glances at Baby when he isn't busy. The two of them know better than to interact in front of everyone, with Nelson standing in the corner, Linda practicing on stage, and Dr. Hammond playing a hand of blackjack at the table in the front. Yet, they can still look, sending each other small smiles that mean "we can be together later, just not now". It's all very much schoolyard crush and they love it.

Baby can't help but notice that somebody else is watching Harry as well, though. Hanging off her husband's arm is the same woman that Baby has watched shamelessly flirt with Harry during her time at the resort. She tries her hardest to push down the jealousy that rises in her throat when she thinks of how they've been together before. Her mind flashes back to when he was late to their dance practice because he was with Veronica. It feels like it's been years when it was only a couple weeks ago. Maybe Veronica has even been in his bed, between his sheets, which is where Baby has spent a lot of time recently. If she thinks too hard about it, it brings tears to her eyes, so Baby tries her hardest to think of anything else. Harry is with her now and, despite their rocky start, she trusts him and has full faith that that part of his life is over.

Still, anger bubbles in the pit of her stomach as she watches the woman release her grip from her husband's arm and saunter over to where Harry is leaning against the edge of the stage, reading from the clipboard he's holding in his hand. Harry doesn't notice her presence at first, oblivious to her standing in front of him, willing and ready. It isn't until she taps her kitten toed heel on the wooden floor that he even looks up from the paper he was reading.

Baby watches silently from the corner, close enough to barely hear what they're saying over Linda's amateur singing coming from the theater speakers. Neither Harry nor Mrs. O'Connor notice that Baby is watching, so she sets her paintbrush down in a cup of water and leans closer slightly to hear their conversation better.