scene sixteen

"I'm so scared, Baby"

-

The days leading up to the performance are a blur of sweaty practices and stolen glances between Baby and Harry. When the day they're supposed to go to the Boars Head rolls around, Baby is at least somewhat confident in her knowledge of the routine and her trust in Harry. Yet, she can't help but be a nervous wreck. What if she forgets the steps? What if she trips and falls on stage? What's going to happen with her and Harry once the dance is finished?

Her mind races with these questions as she walks with Peggy to the dance studio so she can be fitted into the dress. It was originally made to fit Peggy, but Baby is shorter and doesn't possess the muscles Peggy does, which makes the dress fall awkwardly on her small body. None of them had the time or money to go get another dress so they'll have to make do with a quick hem to the skirt and cinch to the waist.

"I can't believe it's tonight," Baby exclaims as they walk hastily towards the dance studio. It's hard for her to believe that all the work they've put in for the last week and a half has led to this moment and after tonight it'll be over. Will things go back to normal? What is normal for them now anyways?

"The Boars Head is about forty minutes away, so you'll have to change in the car," Peggy explains, hugging the dress Baby must wear tightly to her stomach. Her recently rounder belly is starting to show when she wears certain shirts and she's doing everything she can to conceal it. After tonight it won't even be a problem, Peggy reminds herself. Just a few more hours and everything will be back to normal.

As the two of them reach the building, they notice an old lady walking out of the entrance, her bag catching against the door handle and spilling onto the floor. The lady groans and tries to bend down to pick up the contents of her bag. Baby and Peggy speed up their pace to stop the noticeably struggling woman from hurting herself by bending down.

"Here let us help you!" Baby says, bending down to pick up the purse and its contents off the ground. Baby grabs tissues and beige lipstick and stuffs them back into the bag before looking down at three wallets laying on the ground. It seemed peculiar that she'd be carrying that many wallets at one time but Baby doesn't question it, picking them up and putting them in the bag as well before standing up and handing it back to the woman.

"Oh, thank you so much," the lady coos, smiling gently at Baby before turning to Peggy, "I used to be a dancer too," she says, placing a wrinkled hand on Peggy's arm affectionately. Peggy recognizes the woman from a few of her group dance lessons and smiles down at her politely. She's never been a fan of older people, something about them gives her the creeps, but she's been taught to be polite to a guest no matter who it is. The old lady places her bag back on her shoulder and walks away slowly without another word, leaving Baby and Peggy to look at each other with amusement.

They walk into the dance studio and enter the room on the right side of the hall, closing the door behind them. Peggy lays the dress across the ballet barre in the corner and instructs Baby to take her clothes off so she can get her measurements. Baby undresses and folds her white blouse and pants, placing them in the corner of the room. Undressing in front of Peggy is much different than undressing in front of Harry. The more she has gotten to know Peggy over the last week, the more Baby has realized that her defensive exterior is much like Harry's – just an act to protect herself. But unlike Harry, Peggy seems to open up to people much sooner. Spending time together during practices has shown Baby that Peggy is possibly the nicest person you could ever meet, once you get to know her.