43

Official Report

British Intelligence

Code: 3986

Kathleen Winfred

That evening, I had my first training with Pirot. She told me that there were a few rules for being a woman's guard, that I must always obey.

1. Always speak German to officers, fellow guards, and other soldiers. 

2. English may be used with prisoners who do not understand German.

3. Never disobey a superior; insubordination among the Germans is harshly punished.

4. Always finish your assignments for the day and follow all orders. Not doing so will result in punishment.

Pirot told me that I was not exempt from punishments just because I was a soldier under special circumstances. I told her that I understood.

5. One shower per two days, to conserve water.

6. I was Ilsa, not Kathleen. I must introduce myself as such, and sign my name as such.

7. A uniform must be worn at all times. 

I would be given multiple uniforms to allow for changes, but I would be responsible for making sure that they were brought to wash and then retrieved. 

8. Higher ups were referred to as "Sir" and soldiers of equal or lesser rank were called by their last names.

Once Pirot had finished writing those rules out for me, she told me that that was enough for the night and I could rest now.

She herself went to bed, leaving the lamp on for me. I prepared for sleep and shut off the lamp. 

I got into my bed and pulled the covers up to my chin. I lay there, looking at the ceiling. I was unable to get Virginia out of my mind. I kept picturing things happening to her. I pictured her being tortured. I pictured her on the train, lacking in food and water until she reached her new prison. I pictured her alone.

Finally, I was able to fall asleep, but it was not a restful sleep, for it was punctuated by dreams of my friend.