79

Official Report

British Intelligence

Code: 3986

Kathleen Winfred

I sat at my desk. As I did not have much else to occupy me, I was quiet. Gradually, as Roderich and Freidrich began to talk, I was able to begin to make out bits and pieces of their conversation.

Roderich was saying something about the report. “You’ve managed to do it again, Freidrich,” he said, his voice sounding somewhat amazed.

“Have I?” said Von Steubon, sounding detached as usual.

“How you manage, every year, to exceed the standards for efficiency among your work details and prisoners is beyond me.”

Von Steubon was silent; I heard Roderich continue. “Not only that, but the efficiency officer’s techniques seemed to trigger a decline in your efficiency, rather than an increase.”

“Oh really?” Von Steubon still sounded board. I could almost picture him, sitting at his desk and pretending to be occupied with some report or another, while Roderich talked, growing increasingly frustrated by his nephew’s lack of engagement in the conversation.

There was a long silence.

Then Roderich spoke again, sounding annoyed. “You exasperate me, Freidrich,” he said, his voice put-out. “I really don’t know what to do anymore! The only reason they keep you around is because you puzzle them. You don’t play by their rules and yet, somehow, you manage to do what most of them want to do within their prisons and have increased this prison’s efficiency.”

More silence, then Roderich again.

“I can’t keep putting in a good word for you Freidrich. I mean…I can, but I’m not sure how good my word is anymore. They liked you; they were impressed with you before. And a part of them, when you first became a captain, respected you. But it’s running out, Freidrich. They can’t be kept at bay forever. They keep you around because I ask them to, and because you’re still worth something to them. But as soon as they decide you aren’t?”

“They haven’t yet, to my knowledge.”

Roderich sounded even more exasperated when he spoke again. “They haven’t yet, but mark my words, Freidrich. As much as I don’t want it to happen…the day will come.” There was another pause. “For your own good, Freidrich. For your own good, please. Come to your senses. Play by the rules. It’s safest.”

“What if I dislike Hitler’s rules?”

“I know how much you dislike his rules. But there was a time when you followed them, and that led to your being an officer and now? You’re trapped. You have to do what you have to do to survive. It’s safest to follow his rules.”

“I’d rather do what’s right, than what’s safe.”

“Look, Freidrich. Katarina is worried about you. You know as well as I do, that your aunt is not one to worry, usually. The fact that she is only shows how serious this situation is. And Maddalyn. She’s angry, Freidrich. Why don’t you write to her?”

“That’s my business, Uncle.”

“War is a serious thing, Freidrich. You need to choose where your loyalties lie.”

“I have already.”

The longest silence yet.

'Please think about what I’ve said.” Another pause. “It is not as if they’ll just let you go in peace, Freidrich,” he said, his voice pleading. “You know what will happen if they decide you’ve outlived your usefulness.”

Freidrich did not respond.

Finally, I heard the scraping of Roderich’s chair. “Keep in touch, Freidrich. And write to Maddalyn.”

“Good bye, Uncle.”

Roderich exited the office then. He nodded at me, giving me a smile that was less cheerful than before.