77

Official Report

British Intelligence

Code: 3986

Kathleen Winfred

Once I knew the date of Freidrich’s birthday, it began to take up a majority of my thoughts. What could I get him for a gift?

I showed up early one morning, before Von Steubon, and set to work making a list of ideas.

However, an hour later, I was only more frustrated and no further along than before. Every idea I had seemed trite, or inadequate. None of them seemed quite fitting for Freidrich.

Eventually, Freidrich himself came in, cup of dark coffee in hand.

“I see you’re here early,” he remarked, looking at me curiously.

I quickly hid the paper I had been writing on and smiled. “I thought I would get some work done, since I haven’t been here the past few days.”

He nodded, but still looked skeptical. I continued to smile, praying that he wouldn’t think anything more of my early arrival.

“I suppose I’ll leave you to your work then,” he said, eventually, continuing on to his office, glancing back at me once.

I sighed as he shut the door, leaning back in my chair. I decided that it was, at least, a good thing that his birthday was still a month and a half away.

That should, I thought, be enough time to think of something.