Chapter 3

"Ronnie Dunn?" she sunk down in the couch.

"What the hell is wrong with him? When I met him last year at the ACM's he was so polite and seemed to be a big fan of yours." he said reassuringly.

"Yeah that's the problem." she huffed.

"What do you mean?" he sat beside her.

"Well uhm... Ronnie and I used to date.." she said trying to tell her husband.

Narvel let out a high-pitched laugh that could of been eaily mistaken for a woman.

"Wait, no, I'm sorry continue." he said trying to cover up his smile.

"As I was saying.." she stared at him sternly.

"Of course you know I lived in Chockie. Well Ronnie grew up in Coleman, Texas which was just five hours away from me. But he moved to Oklahoma City and that's where we met. We were just two singers tryin' to make it on our own. I was 17 and he was 19. But we met at one of the honky tonk bars that I was singin' at that night and before the night was over, we found ourselves behind the back of the honky tonk bar.."

"Reba Nell!" he said jokingly smacking his wife's shoulder.

"What?! I was a teenager with raging hormones." she pleaded.

"Yeah the whole sex behind the bar thing I'm okay with.. but you didn't even let me get to first base, let alone second!" he laughed.

"Narvel the reason I didn't let it happen between us was because I had more respect for myself then, and you respected me. Plus no hormones." she winked.

"Damn it, I wish I didn't." he smirked.

"But tell me why he didn't have respect for you darlin'."

"He cheated on me..." she spoke with hurt in her eyes.

"Honey I'm so sorry." he said pulling her into a hug.

"That ain't even the worst part.. It was with my best friend at the time." she squeezed him tighter and nustled up to his chest smelling his cologne.

"Baby.." he said kissing the top of her head to let her know he was there for her.

"No, no. It's all over now. I met you, and now my world is happiest." she kissed him.

Narvel broke away from the kiss to ask more questions.

"How long did y'all two date?"

"He and I dated for one-ish years I think. He was my last relationship before I married Charlie. Must you know everything about my past relationships?" she teased.

"I told you all of mine, it's only fair." he nudged.

"Narvel. That's because it was me and one other woman, who you got pregnant at sixteen!" Reba said laughing so hard, her face matched her hair.

"Hey now!" he tried deffending himself.

"But now you're the best thing that has ever happened to me." he said reassuring.

Narvel worked his hands through her hair and made his way to her face. He kissed her, breaking away to say 'I love you.'

"You know I love you and Shelby more than anything in this whole world." she said.

"I know you do sweetheart."

"But hey, I still got questions."

"Narvel Wayne."

"Reba Nell." he mimicked.

"What else is there to know?"

"Were you in love with him?"

"Yes... no. Well gee, I don't know. I was a kid then, I didn't know what love was. I sure thought I did though. But it probably was those crazy hormone playin' a role in me again." she teased some more.

"Will you be okay to do this tribute with him?" Narvel asked.

"I think so. I guess it'd be sorta nice to see him again." she insisted.

"I tried to avoid him every award show we attended. I'd find out where my seat was, and where his seat was, and if it were anywhere near eachother I'd call to have us moved."

"You really hate him, don't you?" Narvel questioned.

"I wouldn't say hate, he just really hurt me."

Narvel tightened his grip of his wife.

"But I'm glad it worked out the way it did. If it didn't, I wouldn't have you or Shelby and I would be miserable."

"MAMA!" Shelby screamed from the top of the stairs grabbing both of his parents' attention.

"What happened?" Reba jumped up from the couch.

"Nothin'. Just wanted to know what was for dinner."

"Pizza?" she looked at Narvel.

"I got them on speed dial." Narvel responded.