In Primus, a Helpless First Mate

Noise rang through the kitchen of Ursula's Fish and Chips as Harry Hook finished washing the last of the dishes in the cavernous sink. He sighed heavily. That morning, Uma had said she wasn't feeling so well. Harry and Gil offered to take her shift, in addition to their own, at the diner. Uma had cuffed their shoulders in thanks with less than her usual vigor, and then stumbled off to go lie down.

Harry mopped his forehead with a filthy dishtowel, reflecting that there wasn't much he wouldn't do for Uma. In fact, there was almost nothing. But a double shift of washing greasy, smelly dishes in a hot kitchen and throwing grub at ungrateful customers wasn't exactly as fun as robbing defenseless people out on the streets.

"See you later, Harry!" Gil called as he stacked the last plate away. "Want me to go check on Uma?"

"No, I'll do it," Harry assured him. "You go scout around outside and see if there's anyone worth shaking down."

Gil tossed him a quick salute and left. Harry followed, swinging the doors as he exited. Striding jauntily down to the pier where the Lost Revenge was berthed, he licked at the point of his hook to see how sharp it was. It was quite sharp, which put Harry in a reasonably decent mood as he stepped onto the ship and made his way to the captain's cabin.

His mood plummeted as soon as he stepped inside.

Uma was lying curled up in her bed, shivering violently though her covers were pulled up almost over her head. Harry ran to her, putting a hand on her shoulder, and she tensed.

"Are you all right?" Harry asked in some alarm.

Uma made a sound like a dry sob and shook her head, curling herself tighter. "So cold... so... so cold, Harry..."

Panic began rising in Harry like bile. He knew Uma hadn't been feeling so well that morning, but this...

"What can I do?" he demanded. "I can get- I can get you more blankets, or the doctor...?"

Uma coughed, shaking her head weakly. "No good... not on the Isle."

"So what can I do?" Harry asked weakly.

But Uma's eyes had closed again, fitful sleep overtaking her.

Harry rose and left the captain's quarters, shivering a little himself at the thought of what he had just seen. Uma couldn't be sick like that. She just couldn't be.

"Ho, did you 'ear what's 'appenin tomorrer?" Harry heard a fisherman tell another as he slumped past them. "Them Auradon guards and the King and 'is girl are comin' to the Isle."

Harry spun around so fast his hat nearly flew off. He grabbed the fisherman's collar and heaved him to his feet. "What did you just say?"

"Them guards, they're comin' 'ere tomorrer," the man stammered. "With the K-King and 'is girl. The word is they're comin' to do a sweep over the Isle to make sure none of us 'ave any magicky things."

"Why?" Harry demanded, shaking the man slightly. "Tell me!"

"They're going to take 'em back to Auradon to make sure they're totally useless," the man babbled. "They're bring 'em back if they're safe fer us to use. An' they're comin' tomorrer. That's all I knows, 'onest!"

"Be mighty grateful I believe you," Harry snarled, shoving the fisherman back down and almost throwing him into the waves. As he stalked off, mind whirling, he heard the man say, "Nasty temper, that 'Arry. Wunner what's got 'im all riled, eh?"