Chapter 1

Rain's P.O.V.

"This is not your personal nap hour Miss Kennedy!"

I am suddenly snapped back into reality by the sound of my American Literature teacher's high pitched voice. She was obviously mad because of the fact that this was the third time I had fallen asleep in her class in the last two weeks. I couldn't help it. I had been staying up all night for a while now because I had found a lead. A lead that could possibly aid me in my search for the organization that experimented on me and killed my parents. MECH.

Mrs. Hoffman had gone back to her lesson on civil war era authors and most of the class had focused back on their work, but there were still a few people giving me strange looks. You see, I'm the weird kid that everyone talks about and is afraid of. My appearance probably plays a big role in that.

I have long blond hair with red and blue streaks in it. Those two colors have always been symbolic to me and they remind me of my family. My eyes are a strange silver-gray color. My skin has a deep tan from the hot Nevada sun and I have multiple scars running across the bottom half of my face. But, the most noticeable thing about me is the two jagged scars running across my throat. The ones that cost me the ability of speech. I have never told anyone the true story of how I lost my voice. Well, no one accept the government agents that saved me from the lab where I was kept hidden. I usually try to keep the scars hidden with a mask that covers the marks on my face and neck, just to keep others from asking more questions than they normally do.

Another secret which I don't plan on telling anyone is how I happen to have a high-tech, bionic left forearm, ear, and bottom half of my left leg. There is also metal plating on my chest. I remember MECH doing some sort of experiment there, but I refuse to tell anyone about what happened, even Agent Fowler. The memory is too painful, mentally and physically. I have always kept my arm, leg, and chest hidden from view, but my replacement audio receptor couldn't be kept secret. Now, everyone thinks it's some prototype hearing aid, even though it looks nothing like one.The replacements for my limbs have been a mystery to me ever since I was rescued from MECH. The technology is like nothing that exists on Earth. It almost seems alien. Of course, that's impossible. I have always just assumed that some mad scientist from MECH created them and thought 'hm, I wonder what would happen if I attached these to a fifteen-year-old girl?' I guess their thoughts probably would have been a bit darker than that though. It has been a year since the incident and I am now a high school sophomore that is socially awkward and has no friends because I am a freak.

When the school bell finally rings, I hang back in the classroom for a minute. I take that time to write a small apology to Mrs. Hoffman for falling asleep again. Once the rest of my classmates leave the room, I walk up to her desk and hand her the note. She smiles and says "I accept your apology, but just try to stay awake in class, please," I nod and walk out of the room.

I notice an orange haired kid leaning against my locker when I get there. Vince. 'Great, another person to deal with,' I think as I approach him. 'Why is my life so messed up? Why do I have to be so different?'

He stares at me for a moment with those piercing green eyes before he speaks. He is one of the only people who is brave enough to pick on me. "Hey Mute, I need a little money for some smokes. You wouldn't possibly have any would you?" There was an evil glint in his eyes. He knew that I always had some money on hand just in case I needed it. "Give it here now and I won't hurt you." The malice in his voice was clear. He wasn't going to leave without a fight.

His right hand started to reach out for me, but I duck under it and sweep his feet out from under him. As quickly as he was knocked down, he is back up again and this time he throws a punch to my stomach. The impact leaves me gasping for air and staggering backwards. Before I know it, instead of trying to get the money out of my pocket, he is leaping at my left arm and trying to pull the leather glove off my hand. At this point, it dawns to me that Vince is up to something more than stealing money from people he considers weak. I need to start guarding my secrets more closely.