IV.34 A memorable performance

"I am bored," Mallory Carmichael informed me, in a whisper.

The big day had arrived, finally. Or rather, the big night. The opening night of 'Romeo and Juliet', put on stage by our class under the direction of our English Lit teacher, Ms Farrow.

Most if not all of our parents were here to watch the performance, as well as the complete staff of St. Albert's and all its students. Mr Taylor of Hampden, Taylor and Clark, who had been commissioned to act as my entirely fictitious dad, Prof. Simon T. Hart, here in the 1960s, was sitting right there in the third row, wearing a tuxedo and watching attentively, and I thought I had even glimpsed his obnoxious daughter Evelyn in the audience.

Truth to tell, the performance was not earth-shattering. Which was not really Ms Farrow's fault.

Rather, it was a direct consequence of the inability if not downright refusal of many of my classmates to memorize their lines. Poor Ms Farrow had done her best under the circumstances, which meant that 'Romeo and Juliet' had been heavily edited and abridged.

A number of little song-and-dance performances had been added, to make up for the lack in monologue and dialogue and to give those of my classmates who were not inclined towards the theater the chance to also take part in the performance.

Currently one of those song-and-dance intermezzos was in progress. Romeo a.k.a. Mallory Carmichael and Juliet a.k.a. myself huddled side by side on a blanket, with another blanket  spread over our legs, in a corner of the plaza while two jugglers – played by the Turner twins – were showing their art and peasants were performing an Italian folk-dance.

"I am bored," Mallory repeated. "Bored to death."

I could not really blame her. I was feeling pretty bored myself. However, it was one thing if say, Nancy or Natty or myself were bored. It was an altogether different thing if Mallory Carmichael was feeling bored.

Mallory was volatile and capricious at the best of times, but when she got bored she was prone to get into all kinds of mischief. What's more, chances were that she would get you involved in her mischief as well.

Sure enough I noticed the soft touch of  finger tips on my upper thighs. It could have been accidental, of course, but I sincerely doubted that. Bemused, but not very much surprised I felt Mallory's fingers slip underneath my skirt.

I half turned my head to confront her.

"What are you doing, Carmichael?" I hissed.

"Nothing that need concern you, Hart," she airily replied.

We were facing the audience. Most of the onlookers were focused on Jen and Debbie Turner juggling and tumbling, or on the ongoing folk-dance, but several of them also appeared to be concentrating on watching Romeo and Juliet's tender moment together.

Not the best time for me to make a scene, I concluded. And anyhow I did not mind a little distraction, myself. As long as the audience could not see that Mallory's hand was under my skirt, everything was going to be fine, or so I told myself.

Mallory's palm was resting on my butt now. She was idly fondling my behind, kneading my buttocks through the fabric of my panties. It did not feel bad, exactly. Not bad at all, really. I unobtrusively shifted my position to afford her easier access.

Eventually, first one and then another one of her fingers found their way further down, to tentatively stroke the crotch of my panties. My cheeks grew warm.

"Methinks fair Juliet's knickers are turning damp," Mallory discretely observed.

I shot her a look. "Hush! This is neither the place nor the time, Carmichael."

Mallory chuckled. "Don't tell me you are not in the mood, Hart. Because clearly you are. Very much so."

She was right, of course. But that was so not the point.

"People are watching us, Carmichael."

"They can't see what's happening under that blanket. Besides, they would expect Romeo and Juliet to make out."

"They may expect Romeo and Juliet to kiss, perhaps. They don't expect them to make out like this, Carmichael."

Mallory's face lit up. "Kiss me, then."

She put her right arm around me and moved in to bring her lips close to mine. Very close indeed. Irresistibly close.

I opened my lips and we kissed. Tentatively at first, but then with real passion. I could hear whispers from the audience. Shocked whispers? Excited whispers? It was hard to tell.

Mallory was smelling and tasting sweet. It was impossible to focus on anything else.

"Ah, Hart," she breathed, when we both came up for air.

At the same time, she allowed her left hand to slide under the fabric of my panties.

Unbeknownst to the audience, Romeo's hand was now touching the bare skin of fair Juliet's ass, causing her to squirm. Deft fingers slid between Juliet's butt cheeks, and from there farther down.

I caught my breath.

"Mind you, it's not just Juliet's knickers that are turning moist," Mallory whispered in my ear as her finger tips proceeded to explore the terrain.

"You've gotta be crazy, Carmichael," I whispered.

In response, Mallory leaned in and started to gently nibble on my lower lip.

Mallory knew exactly what she was doing. Or rather, her finger tips did.

Things got even more intense when she happened to touch a certain spot. I stifled a moan.

"Carmichael, if you continue like this ..."

"Ah, but that's exactly the idea," Mallory cheerfully told me, with a wicked smile.

One of her fingers slid between my butt cheeks again, softly probing.

"I remember you rather enjoyed that, last time," Mallory whispered. "Now where ... Ah yes, here." She deftly inserted a slippery finger tip.

I gasped, my thighs clenching hard around her hand.

"Alright." Mallory smiled sweetly.

I closed my eyes as I shook.

When I opened my eyes again I found that people in the audience appeared to be unaware of what had transpired. Everything considered, I was profoundly grateful for that.

I vaguely noticed that our classmates' dance-act had come to an end.

Mallory left her finger tip where it was, for a moment or two, as she leaned over and kissed me, to thunderous applause, as the curtain started to fall on that particular scene.

The next issue of our school's students' magazine, the Albertine, devoted two entire pages to cover the opening night of 'Romeo and Juliet'. The article was entitled 'A memorable performance', and one of the five photographs it included showed Mallory and me, apparently at a point where Mallory's fingers had been busy underneath my skirt.

The caption read, 'Juliet (C. Hart) appears to be rather taken with Romeo's (M. Carmichael's) attentions'.

***************************

A / N : As always, I am looking forward to get your feedback, so please consider adding your comments or voting.