IV.52 Not into the sunset

Natty and I quietly slipped out of Ms Jefferson's office and closed the door behind ourselves.

I recalled how, still on board the ship, Natty had told the girl, all business-like, "Now, here's the deal: we will get you out of here to ... well, let's just say, to somewhere safe. But you must not ever let anybody know about that. Tell them you lost your memory, or that you fell asleep and woke up in that other place, whatever. Would that be acceptable for you?"

"It is acceptable," the girl had replied. "Of course it is. How could it not be acceptable?"

"Just remember not to tell anybody that we brought you there," Natty had repeated. "Not even your best friend."

"I do not have a best friend." The girl had sounded sad again. "Not anymore."

In response, Natty had offered her an enigmatic smile. "We shall see about that."

"I wonder what they are going to make of all this," I now said, with a final glance at the door to Ms Jefferson's office.

Natty shrugged. "Something good, hopefully."

"Yeah, I suppose." I took a deep breath. "So, what's next?"

Natty grinned. "If this were a story, we would be riding into the sunset now. Figuratively speaking."

I laughed and took her hand. "Come on, then. Let's ride."

"We can't. If this is a story, it is not finished."

I frowned. "How is it not finished?"

"We don't know what will become of me. Will I end up a nobody, or perhaps even dead, in the 1970s and 80s? Or am I going to accompany you when you return to the 23rd century after you complete your First Temporal Assignment?"

I shrugged. "It's true, we don't know that yet. But such is life. You never know what will come next as long as you are alive. There is no happily ever after in real life. Neither, for that matter, in stories, if they are even halfway realistic."

Natty pouted. "But I do want to live happily ever after."

"So do I, but ..."

"And that's why the story cannot end here," Natty concluded. "It needs to continue."

"Meaning what?"

"Meaning that you and I can't ride into the sunset yet."

I laughed "This is getting way too meta for me, here."

"Meta, shmeta. The question remains, what comes next."

I looked at her. "I don't have the foggiest idea."

Natty snorted. "Would you stop with the bad puns already?"

"I shall try. But, concerning your question about what comes next ... You know what?"

"What?"

"Time will tell."

******************************************

A / N : Here ends Deep Future, Book Four of the Temporal Exploring 101 saga chronicling the adventures and misadventures of Cathy, Natty and their friends.

Will there be a Book Five? I have not decided yet. But, to put it into the words of Cathy Hart: Time will tell.