A Foul Secret

Ok, so it turns out the food here was that bad, it had an acquired taste. With the darker woods around, it tended to attract interesting prey. To cut to the chase, I've never eaten a frog before. It wasn't as sweet as vole, or smoky like mice, it kinda slid down my throat in slimy chunks, and didn't taste like much. I think it was supposed to be healthier, but I don't think my stomach would keep it.

"Well?" Asked Arroyo once we tried it.

I and Zara shared a look "It's interesting" we said simultaneously.

"You hate it" said Kennon.

"No, just..." I started.

"Look, have you ever had a mouse before?" Asked Zara.

They shook their heads, "they don't live around here"

"That explains it, come on, I've been cooped up in here so long I think I'm going to explode, let's hunt" I said.

"I don't think-" started Kennon

"Three against one brother" said Arroyo

He huffed and trailed along after us is a frustrated mess. We managed to slip out another entrance and taught Arroyo how to hunt birds, we didn't notice that Kennon seemed to slip we went on completely oblivious. Kennon however, was about to find out more than he bargained for.

------
Kennon
-------

I can't believe my little brother went off with those young, up spurt, little tricksters. That moment I almost let them go I could feel my brain covered by a layer a Magyk, I didn't recognize it at all. I studied Magyk hoping to become a magycian, this was different, more gentle, but powerful.

I snapped out of my thoughts as someclaw grabbed my scruff and tugged me into a dark room.

"Dad!?" I questioned seeing him come into full view.

"Shhhh, come with me" he whispered.

We found ourselves in the dusty medicine den, Regulus coughed and the old Meðal-claw, Santiago, who was a bit deaf, turned around.

"Now son, a while ago Sandy received a prophecy from Excelsior, I think it concerns you, tell him Sandy"

The old cat sucked in a breath, and began "Before the sun rises on the night of the fourteenth Blood Moon, royal blood shall spill royal blood, magic will break, and darkness will run like water over stone" he finished.

It took a few minutes for that to sink in. "Wait, y-your saying-"

"Yes, it has to be you, Arroyo has befriended the enemy, if he defends them, the least painful punishment is exile" hissed Regulus.

"But he's your son! My brother!" I protested.

"A chief protects his own! I don't want to do this, but if I let my son be an exception of the rules than they will see me as a weak leader" My father didn't meet eye contact.

"If those twins have taught me anything, it's family first! I can't allow you to do this" I stood my ground.

He turned his head towards me like an owl, his one dead eye glistening, Sandy had fallen asleep, no one was around.

"I thought this would happen" he sniffed, then grabbed my scruff and dragging me into another room "think about the prophecy, I'll come back tonight when your time comes"

My father backed up and shoved a boulder in front on the entrance, I screamed and thrashed but he was stronger than I thought. I wailed into the darkness.

"Tonight, my son will kill the heirs and I will be feared throughout Coniurantum!" Regulus giggled maniacally into the tunnels.

•=•=•••=•=•====••=•=•=•=•=
History has a way of repeating itself...

-Cressida Cowell