Intro to Post-Secondary Education & Unnecessary Socialization That Comes With It

˚˚*❀˚* —Freshman year

˚˚*❀˚* —Freshman year. First semester.—˚* ❀˚**

The dorm room is as small as she expected. It's clean at least; the sand coloured hardwood floor is spotless. The walls are surprisingly still white—though there are a few small holes and dents scattered about. The window is strikingly large and the natural light streaming in makes the room seem homey—inviting.

Overall, it's better than what Jisoo had anticipated when registering for student residency. The single room is to be shared; there are two beds, two desks, and two dressers. She sets her bags down in the middle of the room and turns to close the door.

And just before the door meets the frame, a foot lodges itself between them. Jisoo flinches in surprise and looks up to see a girl around her age. Even though it's the other girl that stuck her foot there intentionally, Jisoo is first to apologize.

"Oh sorry," she mumbles.

"Ah that's okay. You must be my roommate." the girl responds as she shakes her head to get her thick fringe out of her eyes. There's a large duffle bag in one hand, a giant stuffed fox in the other. Through the door, Jisoo also spots a large, sleek navy suitcase standing upright.

Jisoo opens the door wider to let her new roommate through; she gives a polite nod at the gesture. She's pretty, Jisoo thinks. Her face is round and soft, contrasting her sharp eyes. Plump lips are painted a bright matte red. Her long black hair is sleek and looks fluid as she brushes it over a shoulder. If Jisoo is being honest, she's a bit intimidated. As if she notices Jisoo's stare, the girl suddenly meets her gaze.

"Hi, I'm Seo Soojin. Freshman. Studying nutrition and culinary arts," Soojin drops her bags and fox at the door and moves to extend a well manicured hand. There are tiny sparkly studs glued on to each baby blue nail; the tips are filed neatly and the nail beds are long.

Wow, even her hands are beautiful, Jisoo is a tad jealous. She opens her mouth and forgets to filter her words, "How can you work with food while having your nails done?" Awkward! Jisoo wants to hide. Why did it come out like that? This is not the first impression she had wanted to give.

"Gloves," Soojin curtly replies. She's unimpressed.

Embarrassed, Jisoo timidly nods as she shakes Soojin's hand, her own nails are painted black, the edges chipping. "Kim Jisoo. Freshman. Majoring in journalism and broadcasting. Minor in literature and pop culture," she offers with a small forced smile.

Soojin smiles back awkwardly; her lips tight, forming a straight line. Her eyes dart around—clearly distressed—as if she wants to look anywhere but at the girl standing in front of her. Reaching up rather awkwardly, she grabs both of Jisoo's hands in her own, her eyes hardening and she stares into the other girl's eyes aggressively, as if trying to look straight through her.