Chapter Two: Dance The Dance

"One, two, three...One, two, three. Pivot. Pivot. Swan. PIvo- Dammit Jesse Why can't you get it right? After the second Pivot, Swan! Then after Swan?.." He snarls, clapping his hands violently to demonstrate.

I swallow the huge lump in my throat, knowing silence is my best option.

"Whats after Swan Jesse?!" He demands.

"P-Pivot Mister Edmond...." I whisper aloud.

He nods, pointing his fingers at my aching feet.

'Alright, then why in the hell aren't you pivoting?! Do you want to make it big? Do you want to dance on the stage with those vanilla's?!" He screeches, storming over to me.

I really wish the floor would swallow me up already. My feet ache, I have a developing blister on my big toe, and I'm tired. Yet, I can't leave, not until I get this right.

"Did you hear me dammit?! Answer me when I'm speaking to you!" He commands, now nose to nose with me.

Scared for what he will do next, I desperately search for my voice before answering.

"Yes sir. I want to be the best"

He steps back, laughing sarcastically.

"You want to be the best huh? Well I'm going to tell you right now, if this shit is the best you can offer, you might as well pack your bags and take your ass home to your equally pathetic ass mother"

My heart sinks, my confidence now in shambles. I'll never be good enough for him. I'll never be good enough for anybody.

"Now stand up and let's do this again" He instructs, snapping his fingers for action.

I inhale deeply and prepare myself once again to fight through the pain.

"One, two, three..Pivot...."

Glancing around, I see the old me. The old me that would enter an audition scared and desperate. Scared of losing the audition and desperate to be noticed. I feel sorry for those old me's. They will not survive this audition. I can see it in their body language; amateurs.

Tying my pointe shoe, I restrain any lingering thoughts of my competition. There is no competition. That's my mindset. After this mornings pep-talk with Michael and my extended practice session, I have all the confidence I need to proceed in this audition.

I am disappointed that Michael isn't here to cheer me on, but I understand the circumstances which prohibit him from journeying beyond the first level of The Double Tree Hotel. That's the perks of being with Michael. Not many can know about you, and he can't go anywhere with you. But I love Michael enough to co-habitat in his world, just as long as I still have a world of my own to escape to.

"Jesse Edmond?" The casting director, John Fortae calls.

I quickly glance up, standing to me feet to acknowledge him.

"Right this way miss Edmond..." He instructs, turning towards the fire exit door.

The old me's eyes follow me until I am out of sight. Putting their existence in the back of my mind, I enter through the stage door, and wait for further instruction.

"You may now go" Mister Fortae informs me after ten minutes of patiently waiting.

I nod and take a deep breath, before allowing the spotlight to expose me to the small audience of critics hidden in the theater seats. Whispering a silent prayer, I glance out into the empty seats one last time, this time spotting an old figure. The figure is standing beside the theaters audience exit, seemingly waving at me.