Broken Bottles: chapter 12

"Honey, dinner will be ready in—oh, hello." A female voice spoke from the doorway.

Danny pulled away from me quickly and turned to face the woman. I took a step back and hid my money behind my back.

"Mom, you're home early." Danny said.

"Yeah, Roger is picking the twins up from gymnastics tonight instead of me, so I came home to start dinner." She said.

"Um, well, this is Paxton. He's a friend from school." Danny introduced us.

"It's very nice to meet you, Paxton. Will you be staying for dinner?" Danny's mom asked, kindly.

"Oh, no thanks. I have to go home for dinner." I declined.

"Okay then. Dinner will be ready in about twenty minutes, honey."

"Okay, mom." Danny said.

Danny's mom smiled at us before turning to leave. Once I could hear her footsteps going down the stairs, I crossed the room and shoved my money into my book bag. I then collected all my papers and zipped it up.

"You don't have to leave, yet. You can stay until dinner is ready." Danny said once he noticed me packing up.

"I think it's best if I just leave." I told him.

"Okay, I'll drive you home."

"It's fine, I can walk." I said.

Danny looked at me in disbelief, "Are you crazy? We live on opposite sides of the city."

"I'll be fine. I need to clear my head anyway." I swung my book bag over my shoulder.

"Clear your head in my car. There's no way I'm letting you walk all the way home." He slid past me and left his room.

By the time I followed him down the stairs, he already had his keys and was putting his shoes on. I gave in and put my shoes on too. We left the house and climbed into Danny's car.

"If you ever find yourself in trouble with your dad—." Danny started to talk after about five minutes of driving.

"I'm clearing my head, remember?" I cut him off. I wasn't in the mood to talk about my dad anymore with Danny. I needed a break.

"Right." Danny sighed. We didn't talk for the rest of the drive.

"See you at school, tomorrow?" Danny asked as I got out.

"Yeah." I said simply and shut the door.

I made my way inside and despite my coldness to Danny, he didn't reverse out of the driveway until I shut the front door.

"Pax?" Penny called out from the kitchen.

"Yeah, it's me." I said and kicked my shoes off. I walked into the kitchen and saw all my siblings eating pasta.

"We didn't know when you would be home." Penny said. She sounded slightly guilty.

"It's okay, you didn't have to wait for me." I said and grabbed a plate. I filled it up with pasta noodles from the pot and sat down with my siblings.

"So, you got friends now?" Sidney asked me with a smirk.

"Shut up, we hang out mostly just for school." I answered.

"I think it's great. Going from home to school to work everyday can't be good for you." Penny piped up.

"Just don't go asking me to babysit these two all the time now that you have friends." Sidney pointed to Polly and Sadie.