Broken Bottles: chapter 15

"We should probably go back upstairs." I said.

Danny and I were still on Kira's couch in her basement. After we kissed, Danny pulled me against him and I didn't have the willpower to stop him. I had my head on his chest and he had his arms wrapped around me. I enjoyed just laying there with him, but I knew a lot of time had passed.

"I doubt anyone is missing us." Danny answered as he raked his hand through my hair.

"Won't your friends come looking for you?" I asked.

Danny let out an airy chuckle, "No, they probably think I'm off making out with some girl."

"Oh," I muttered, "Does that mean they don't know?"

"Know what?" He asked.

"About this? You were off making out with someone. That someone just isn't a girl." I pointed out.

I couldn't see Danny's face, but I knew realization of what I was talking about set in.

"Oh, well, they aren't wrong to think I like girls. They just don't know girls aren't the only people I like." He explained.

"So you're—." I drew it out, so he could tell me himself.

"Bisexual."

I nodded against Danny's chest and reached for one of his hands. He let me take it and our fingers twirled around each other.

"Are you going to tell them?" I eventually asked.

"About being bisexual or about us?"

"I think it kind of goes together, don't you think?"

"Yeah, I guess it does." Danny said.

He was silent for a moment, so I flipped over to see his face.

He glanced down at me before letting out a breath, "I just don't know if I'm ready for that, yet."

"Do you think they won't be supportive?" I questioned.

"No, I think it'll be alright with everyone. I just don't know if I'm ready to put that part of me out into the world, yet." Danny squeezed my hand.

"Okay, I get that. So, am I the first one to know?"

"You're the first person to know." Danny put an emphasize on 'person'.

"What do you mean by that?"

"You know my step-sisters dog, Coconut?" He asked.

I nodded as I recalled him telling me about their dog dying a few months ago.

"Well, when I first realized how I felt, I needed to say it out loud to something other than myself. I wasn't ready to tell anyone I knew, so I told Coconut."

I stifled back a laugh for Danny sake, "Did it help?"

"As stupid as it sounds, yeah it did. It was like lifting a weight off my chest. It also felt like it was finally legit, like it was officially out there."

"I bet Coconut was super proud and happy for you." I smiled.

"Oh, he definitely was. His tail started wagging and everything." Danny chuckled.

I watched Danny's cheeks stretch up as he smiled and I couldn't help but smile too. I leaned up to peck his lips and we exchanged a few kisses before settling back down into a comfortable position. I didn't ask him any more questions about us, because I understood he wouldn't be ready for his friends and family to know about our feelings for each other. I was also in no rush to announce to the world that I liked Danny, because this moment was all I needed. This moment could keep me happy for years.