Chapter Eleven

Sunday evening, Lucy found herself back in her windowsill, curled up, reading a book. It had been the perfect day and she didn't want to ruin it by overthinking everything that had happened over the past two days.

After their game of football, Lucy and Tristan took a walk by the lakes edge, skipping stones and talking. She could remember almost every little detail. He told her he loved hiking and camping – basically anything that meant he was outdoors. He missed his horses and his brother, Caleb. He used to play football, but he enjoyed it more as a recreational game, rather than a competition. His hero was his father, and he was genuinely happy to have found good friends here in Blackwood.

Lucy talked about how much she loved to be outside, too, but that she also enjoyed a good movie night, especially in winter. She even told him about her obsession with eighties classics, which she was sure would have scared him off, but he actually seemed interested. He even asked if she would like to show him sometime.

Lucy smiled as she tried to concentrate on her book. It was impossible when all she could think about was how the sun caught the green in his eyes, or how he ran his big hand through his shiny brown hair. Of course, he was gorgeous, but that was not what mattered most to Lucy. What mattered to her was how easy it was to be around him. How all of her anxiety and sadness and worry seemed to fade away whenever he was around. She forgot for a while that her world was turning itself upside down.

She gazed out the window, across the property in the direction of the lake – in the direction of Tristan's house. She wondered what he was doing now. If he was thinking about her.

She didn't notice Jared wander in and flop down onto her bed until he spoke.

"Today was a great day," he said, folding his arms behind his head and staring at the ceiling dreamily.

Lucy smiled and hopped down off the window. "It was, wasn't it?" She pulled her desk chair out and sat down by the bed. "It was nice to just forget about everything, for a little while."

Jared turned to look at her with a goofy grin on his face.

"What?" Lucy asked. "What are you grinning about?"

"I finally asked Rachel out," he replied, sitting up.

Lucy silently cheered, throwing her arms in the air. "That's fantastic, Jared!" She reached over and hugged him. "When are you guys going out?"

"We're going to the movies on Friday night," he answered, looking extra proud of himself.

"I'm so happy for you both," Lucy said. She gave her brother a playful jab on the arm. "It's about time."

Jared flushed red and looked down at his feet. "I know. I probably shouldn't have waited so long, but today just felt different somehow."

"It really was a great day," Lucy said, repeating Jared's greeting when he entered the room. "I still can't believe we managed to get Riley off his computer long enough to play football." Lucy made a fake surprise face, and Jared laughed.

"I still can't believe that," he replied, still chuckling. "Poor guy. He got crushed."

They both laughed then.

Scarlett called out from down the bottom of the stairs. "Dinner's ready!"

Jared leapt off the bed. "Yes! I'm starving."

"You're always starving," Lucy replied, rolling her eyes and following him out of the room.

* * * * *