Chapter Twelve

"You should've seen it, Sarah. It was just amazing." Scarlett sat at a table in the back of Sarah's café the next day, drinking a tea and catching Sarah up on Lucy's progress.

"Oh, I wish I'd been there," Sarah replied, her hands on her cheeks. "I always knew she was special."

Scarlett nodded and took a sip of her tea. "I can't tell you how relieved I'll be after Tuesday night though. I really need help with her training," she admitted.

"The sooner the better," Sarah agreed. "With Lucy leading them, these kids are going to be so incredible. Like nothing we've ever seen before, anyway."

Scarlett rubbed her face with her hands. "It's really quite terrifying, if I'm being totally honest."

"Oh, absolutely," Sarah said. "Don't feel bad. We're all scared right now."

Scarlett flopped her hands down on the table, looking exhausted.

"It's going to be alright, Scarlett," Sarah assured her. "We're all in this together. Or at least, we will be, once we've told the kids the entire story."

Scarlett nodded and took another sip of her tea, pausing to inhale the scent. "I can see why the girls love coming here. You make the best tea, Sarah."

"I've had years of practice, and I have a strange knack for knowing exactly what kind of drink people need when they walk in." She winked at Scarlett and grinned.

Scarlett smiled back. "Imagine that." She put the cup back down on the table and looked over at Sarah. "I'm glad you're here. I can't believe I didn't realise who you were the second I moved back into town. All this time." She shook her head. "Unfortunately, since Elizabeth died, I've spent far too much time with my head in the sand."

"It's understandable Scarlett. Losing Elizabeth would've been enough on its own, but taking on her children who have no idea about any of this," she said, waving her hand in the air at nothing in particular, "that's enough to make anyone want to hide away."

"I was such a mess in the beginning," Scarlett said, leaning her head on her hand. "I was barely functioning. Those poor kids had to deal with the death of their parents and worry about their crazy aunt. I feel terrible, even to this day I feel as though I didn't take care of them properly."

"Oh Scarlett. You're being way too hard on yourself." Sarah rested her hand lightly on Scarlett's arm. "It was horrific, losing Elizabeth and Theo so suddenly like that. And breaking a bond like the one you had with your sister, well, the kids are just lucky they didn't lose you too." She squeezed Scarlett's arm gently. "You have done an amazing job with Lucy and Jared. They're the kindest, most thoughtful young adults now, and that's because of you. Anytime you doubt yourself, just look at the people they have become. You should be proud."

Scarlett smiled at Sarah. "They really are good people, aren't they?"

Sarah nodded warmly. "Now, how about something to eat? You look exhausted."

"Is that your way of kindly telling me I look like crap?" Scarlett joked.

"Definitely not," Sarah replied, lightly slapping Scarlett playfully on the arm. "I just think, after what happened last night, it might be best to get some good, healthy food into you. You're going to need your energy for what's to come."

Scarlett bit her lip. "You're probably right."

"Oh, I know I am," Sarah replied as she stood up. "I'll be right back with something that's sure to give you an energy boost."

"Thanks Sarah." Scarlett watched as Sarah scooted off to the kitchen, grateful that she finally had someone she could talk to about all that she was going through. She had forgotten what it was like to have people you could count on. For most of her life, Elizabeth, Theo and the twins had been Scarlett's whole world. She'd had a few failed relationships, but it was hard to make it work with someone from this world. Humans and empaths just weren't wired the same.