Chapter Fifteen

A few hours later, Lucy arrived at school before her friends.

She sat in her car, thinking about the rest of her morning with Tristan. They had run back to Lucy's house, re-energised and ready to take on the day. Her usual bout of anxiety was gone and in its place was an unfamiliar feeling of exhilaration and excitement. As he did the last time they went for their run, Tristan walked her right to her front porch, only this time he stayed a little longer and they talked more about their power.

He showed her a very useful trick to keep herself warm when it was freezing outside, something she wished she had known during the winter months. It was as simple as drawing heat from the earth below them. And without having to take off her shoes. She was very impressed.

"Are we still on for Friday?" he asked as he stepped off the porch and onto the front path.

"Of course," she replied, feeling her face going red as she answered. "Why wouldn't we be?"

He shrugged his broad shoulders. "Just with everything that happened last night. I thought you might be feeling a little overwhelmed."

Lucy smiled. He was thoughtful as well as gorgeous. "Oh, I'm definitely feeling overwhelmed, but I like hanging out with you," she declared – she was feeling brave today.

Tristan's answering smile lit up his face before he looked at his shoes shyly. "Well, alright then," he said, kicking at a loose stone. "I'll see you at school."

She watched as he ran back across the property and onto the track, staying until he was completely out of sight.

"How was your run?" Scarlett asked as Lucy walked inside. She was still sitting in her usual spot, only now she was knitting.

Lucy pulled off her beanie, scarf, gloves and jacket and hung them by the fire before sitting down on the couch across from Scarlett. "Great. I learned a few new things this morning."

Scarlett put down her knitting. "Didn't I tell you not to use your power unless you are around me?" She raised an eyebrow at her niece.

Lucy froze. "Oh, right. I'm really sorry. We were meditating and it just kind of happened."

Scarlett half smiled. "It's alright," she said, playing with the end of her hair. "Tristan would probably be able to explain things in a way that makes sense to you. I just want you to be careful, alright? We still don't know how strong you are yet, and as you saw the other night, it can get out of control very quickly. I don't mind you doing a few small things, but only with Tristan. I know Eden would have trained him well, so you'll be safe learning a little with him. But I can't stress it enough, Lucy. Be careful."

Lucy nodded. "I will. I promise." She sat for a minute staring at the fire before going on. "I like learning from him," she said, thinking about the butterflies and how warm his skin felt against hers.

Scarlett laughed. "I bet you do."

Once again, Lucy could feel her face reddening. "It's not like that."

Scarlett's warm smile said she knew better, but she picked up her knitting and continued on. "I know, Lucy. As I said earlier, he seems like a nice young man." She stopped for a moment, not lifting her eyes. "He reminds me a little of someone I used to know, a long time ago."

"The story for another time, right?" Lucy asked carefully.

Scarlett nodded. "But not today. You go and have a nice warm shower and get yourself to school."

Now, sitting in her car, Lucy thought of her friends and how much they meant to her. It was obvious that Scarlett had lost somebody special to her in that blast. Then to come here, to this world and have to learn to live on their own, only to lose her sister and brother-in-law too – no wonder it nearly killed her. Lucy was thankful that the people from Scarlett's past had come back to her now, right when she needed them most.