Chapter 1

School resumption was never a jolly period for me because there would be no sleeping in on weekdays, no assignment free day or anything of such. I don't know why but the teachers in my school -Dayfort High never seemed to forget assignments. I hurriedly got myself ready for school and went downstairs to get my breakfast. 

      I met my mother in the kitchen ready for work and I greeted her "Good morning Mummy."

She looked up from her cup of tea and smiled, her smiles always came so quickly and easily. "Morning dear. Eat up your breakfast and let's go. I'm sure you don't want to be late for your first day of the session."

  I laughed and replied her "You sound like people don't come late to school on the first day."

She flashed me a stern look "My own child will not sha be part of those people. Now, hurry up. "

I finished my breakfast of bread and fried eggs and Mum and I set out at six thirty. "Your dad said you should behave well in school today." She said as we drove out.

I rolled my eyes but subtly so my mum won't notice and launch into a lecture about manners "He always says that ."  My mother shook her head "Someone has to remind you."

I nodded because I knew she was only trying to make an excuse for daddy. Sometimes, I wonder how they both ended up together. Mummy, the stubborn, bubbly and very beautiful young woman and daddy, the strict, stern faced and proud man. There was no difference in their ages- biologically but mentally, my father was older and more worrisome.

The rest of the ride, we were silent but I was thinking about a lot. My new class, I would be starting SS1 today. Who would be my class teacher, my friends. There would be new students.  God, I couldn't wait.

By six fifty, I was in school and yes, the gate was open. Dayfort stood magnificently occupying a large expanse of land with its field, senior and junior classes and its administrative block. The school hall stood in the centre, the Nigerian flag flying carelessly in ftont of it. In the senior block,the SS1  classes were on the ground floor. SS2 classes were on the first floor and SS3 on the second floor. I guess the higher you go the tougher it becomes. I already knew my class SS1B, the class for pure science students. I remember Daddy's satisfaction with Dayfort and the relief Mummy and I had. We had gone from school to school and I was tired of taking one entrance examination after the other.

Not surprisingly, I wasn't the first and I met one of my best friends, Jemima. "Jasmine, Jasmine." It was a form of hailing or scolding- calling someone's name more than once.
We hugged each other. "Long time" Jemima said, still holding my hand after our hug. She was very slender, with chocolate skin, a firm grip and a motherly tone. The mummy of our little group.
"Abi o. I didn't miss school but I missed you guys" I added.
Jemima laughed "We were talking and doing video calls nau, and we visited each other "
I shook my head "See, Jemima, I  missed you.  You know it's Bimpe I see more than I see you or Felicia "

We kept  gisting as we arranged the class. In Dayfort, we had cleaners and Baba B, an old man who took care of the field and assisted the agricultural science teachers in taking care of the school farm but we students cleaned our classes and the school premises except the toilets.

Jemima and I placed our bags on the seats we wanted to occupy and placed books on the seats our friends had told us they wanted. When others saw people's items on the seats, they would know that the seats belonged to others but some stubborn students would hiss and throw the items to the floor. "Did I meet anyone here?" They would ask if someone else came to claim  the seats. I prayed such people would not arrive before the people we kept seats for.  Soon, students began trooping in and out and by seven thirty we went out for assembly.