Chapter 34

"I've not forgotten " mum said "I still remember our teenage years when we were like siblings. The relationship was pleasant until you took advantage of me and got me pregnant. I told you about the pregnancy and you told me to abort it and when I refused, you denied the pregnancy. I was shattered , broken, depressed and even suicidal. I later was able to pick up the pieces of my life and start over. When you came begging, I was desperate for a husband so that my child and I would  no longer be tagged as outcasts  but even my desperation had a limit and I wasn't sure I could trust you until you shocked everyone by admitting Jasmine was your child so I gave the relationship a chance and it blossomed into marriage. I thought finally all was well until your attitude began to change. I tried to find and solve the problem but all my efforts proved abortive then the miscarriages started "

"Miscarriages kwa?  Michael, I thought you said she never got pregnant " grandma questioned dad but he had no answer. He simply fixed his gaze on the ground as mum continued

"It felt like I got myself pregnant. I was alone , drowning in emotional, mental and physical pain but you didn't lift a finger to help me. It was then I realised you didn't care, I realised marrying you was a mistake but I didn't want my child having an unstable home so I still tried again to make things work but my efforts were in vain. You watched your family insult me but you did nothing to help rather you were busy abusing my child. I asked for a divorce but you threatened to take everything including my daughter so I was forced to stay.  You hurt me in so many ways.
The last pregnancy before my twins lasted more than the usual four weeks and I was so happy that the pregnancy stayed but the night before I planned on announcing the pregnancy we had an argument, you pushed me so hard, I fell and lost my baby and you showed no sign of remorse. After that, I felt angry, bitter and I no longer cared but I began to fight back.  I revolted and shocked you and your family " She paused and let out a breath before continuing

"You all changed me into someone I was not. It pained me that I had to fight for my sanity. It pained me that I had to protect my child from her father and his family but I couldn't take it anymore. I had to fight back each time to let you all know that you couldn't just trample on me as you liked but  you didn't relent, rather you went violent and then you hit me and the anger I felt rose up to an unexplainable level and I hit you back and from then on, let it all the anger, madness  out and you all finally saw me as a person and respected me. Finding out about Michelle was the last straw, finding out that the marriage was an avenue to punish me broke me completely.
Look, you don't love me because if you did, you'll never want to see me hurt no matter what I did or what you think I did. Now, you surely don't expect me to go back to such a life. It's impossible "

"Mabel please " dad begged tears in his eyes "please come back home, I know I wronged you but I'm sorry. I really am. I know you also don't want to be a single mother so please come back home "

Mum simply shook her head. I could tell this was a hard decision for her to make but her mind was obviously made up. Grandma Dafe held mum's hand tight in hers and squeezed it gently

"When I gave birth to Jasmine, it was hard. I always imagined giving birth with my husband by my side and not my mother. The emotional and physical burdens were very heavy for me to bear, the pain was excruciating. I faced rejection, humiliation, mockery, I was the topic on so many lips. I sunk into depression, it was so bad that sometimes, my child would cry and I would sit and cry with her not knowing what to do until my mum came to the rescue. I was tagged as a loose girl and a whore because I had a child outside marriage. No one even wanted to know what happened to me. I went through hell as a single mother and I can tell you that no woman wants to go through that experience and anyone who has would not want to go through it again so for me to decide to tread that path again with two babies this time only shows how made up my mind is. I'm not going back "

"Mabel please don't do this to me --"

"Michael please stop " mum cut him short "you have a wife and three sons waiting at home for you. Go back to them and leave us "

"I don't have anyone " dad cried out and Aunty Chika held him

I suspected something happened to Miss Michelle

"Michelle and her father had been involved in some criminal acts and I found out. Just as I was about confronting her , she arranged for some thugs to beat up Ebere because of an argument they had and Ebere is currently fighting for her life in the hospital so I turned she and her father in and they've both been arrested only for Michelle's family to come and take away my sons and even some of my assets. Currently, I have no one to go home to just you, Jasmine and the  twins."

I shook my head in pity for dad. He had surely been through a lot

"I'm sorry for your loss " Mum said curtly

"Please, come back " Grandma pleaded "You're a very good woman at least you cook, take care of the house and do so many things. Michelle can't do as much as you do. Please, forgive and forget. "

"I'm sorry for all Michelle put you through but I'm sure that if all that didn't happen, you won't be here today so please I can't. Let's go our separate ways, it's for the best "

"No my darling, don't say that. I -" dad pleaded but mum cut him short

"Michael you have until this time next week to sign the divorce papers and if you don't, I'll be forced to press charges and don't think I don't have evidence of your behaviour towards Jasmine and I'll also be forced to issue a restraining order so if you know you don't want all of that, sign the papers peacefully and know that I'll have full custody of my children "

Grandma's jaw dropped in shock and Aunty Chika began pleading while dad sat still, tears going down his cheeks

"Please leave " grandma Dafe said when mum could only hold her tight

"Mabel" dad whispered and grandma Dafe ushered them out and locked the door

For me, this seemed final like my dad and his family were now history. We had been telling ourselves that for the past three months but this seemed to seal and solidify that.

Maybe I wasn't yet used to this new life, maybe this was a hard time but I knew we'd pull through; mum, the twins and I .

I just knew that we'd be fine

-------

Hmm , so that's good riddance to Micheal.

Are we in support?

This book is slowly coming to an end. I'm already missing my characters but like I said, my new book 'Lara's rose' is coming soon.

Stay tuned!

Vote, comment and share 😙😙😙