Chapter 3

School had resumed with full swing and we had three new students in my class , Ime-Uyai's cousin, Bernard and Lucy. All three students were level headed even Ime whom people were scared that she'll be as crazy as Uyai was very normal.

Mrs Ibeh turned out to be a very nice biology and class teacher and of all my science subjects, biology was the easiest.

Open day was today and parents were allowed to come in from eleven but it was just past eight and the teachers were having an impromptu meeting after which they would retire to the staff room with the exception of class teachers who were to sit in their classes and because of the open day we were free from classes. 

My friends and I sat gisting while  some people were playing whot, some reading novels some were sleeping and the rest of us were gisting.

Noise came from Joseph's corner of the class because  the students gathered around him were hailing him because of the gift he said his father bought for him for passing his test. I couldn't help but think about my own life. Out of my twelve subjects, I scored ten out of ten marks in eight, in two, I  scored nine out of ten and in the last two I had eight out of ten. Still my father didn't  give me as much as a smile not to mention a gift and he was even threatening to disown me. 

Meanwhile, Joseph who had ten out of ten in only six subjects was receiving a gift from his father

"Joseph, where's my own gift?" Uyai asked Joseph while smiling flirtatiously at him. Joseph laughed,  probably enjoying the attention

"Don't worry dear, I owe you meatpie on Monday "he replied her.

"Are you not a boarder?" Kemi asked her clearly jealous.

"Ha! Kemi she's not an ordinary boarder o " Moses replied "she's a begging boarder , can't you see how thin she is? She's hungry" 

The whole class burst into laughter even Joseph, the cause of the wahala

"Moses, what's your problem? Is it you that is giving her food? You should stop cracking jokes at people's expense , its not right" Aramide spoke and Uyai replied her " Thank you my dear"

"Angel of the  Lord" Moses attacked Aramide "Prophet of the Most High, Holiest on earth. I greet you "

We resumed our laughter "Chai!  Moses, you will not kill us " Lucy said

"It's true na," Moses retaliated "The girl will be forming Daughter of Zion, when she's a thorough sinner. Monkey. "

   I had forgotten my worries as I laughed wholeheartedly "Take it easy " Jemima said 

"Don't mind her,  she's happy that they disgraced Aramide " Felicia replied her, laughing as well.

"I'm not the only one laughing " I defended myself "See everybody,  even you " 

"But, what were you thinking about?" 

Jemima asked me . I shrugged "The usual, my dad and his wahala. I'm very scared. What if he actually disowns me?"

Felicia held my hand tight and Jemima took the other "He won't,  you're too much of a jewel for him to do such" Felicia said.  I smiled at them "Thanks,  you both are the best"

   Bimpe chose that moment to walk into our class "Hmmm! The Big B is here" Moses announced and we laughed. 

Bimpe wasn't really big, but she wasn't fat and not at all slim more like in the middle plus she had flesh in all the right places and she was light skinned which made both of us the only fair ones in our group. She seemed to notice the tension as she approached our corner at the back of the class.