Chapter One

Chapter One

Jitters

A wolf whistle pierced the air as Rebecca wandered towards the community center her head snapped up and she glared at the curly-haired boy who was leering at her. He was smoking a cigarette while leaning on the door to the entrance.

She sighed as she realised she would have to walk past him to get in, licking her lips she tilted her head back before just going for it. Awkwardly walking towards him, he started smiling at her thinking she was coming to talk to him. She laughed as she side-stepped him, eyes darting forward as she opened the door.

"Hey!" An Irish voice called from behind her, Rebecca sighed before turning around to face the boy.

"Yes?" She spoke with a soft voice that revealed how tired she was.

"What are you doing here?" He took another drag of his cigarette blowing the smoke away from their faces.

"I'm here to do my community service." She answered, slowly trying to walk away from him.

"Well you're in luck sweetheart, so am I!" He grinned at her before putting his arm around her shoulder, stomping on the rest of his cigarette and pulled her forward as he began to walk. "My name's Nathan. Nathan Young."

Rebecca cast a look up at him, his curly hair bouncing with every step. "I'm Rebecca." She mumbled.

"Rebecca? Mind if I call you Becky?" He didn't give her a chance to reply as he walked over to one of the walls that held a list of names, finding his he ticked it off, and then thinking twice ticked hers off aswell. "Shall we?" He asked, making a sweeping motion towards the changing room doors.

Rebecca was a little uncomfortable that they didn't have separate changing rooms for boys and girls but didn't say anything as she followed him in. She was relieved to notice that she wasn't the only girl, there were two others. One was scraping her hair back into the tightest pony tail she'd ever seen and the other was primping herself in front of the mirror.

She hadn't realised she's been staring until the girl caught her eye in the mirror, Rebecca turned away and came face to face with Nathan who was holding up an orange jump suit for her.

"Guessed your size sweetheart." He gave her body a once over before smacking his lips, Rebecca's face flushed as she walked over to a free locker. She took the keys out of the lock and opened it, she shoved her bag into the top shelf and starting getting changed. At this point three other boys walked in, she turned to cover herself a bit more but gave up once she noticed that she was surrounded.

No one was looking at her anyway.

She rolled the bottoms of the slightly too big jumpsuit so that her converse were showing more. She rearranged her wristbands and decided to put her hair up, grabbing a hair band and shuffling over to the mirror she shoved it up quickly, not bothering to make it look good. What was the point?

She heard chewing behind her and looked into the mirror to see that the girl who was primping herself earlier was staring at her.

"Um, hello?" She turned to face the girl.

She popped her gum and nodded. "You alright? I'm Alisha."

"Rebecca." She mumbled, moving over as Alisha came back to the mirror re-adjusting her jumpsuit once more. Rebecca felt very insecure standing next to this beautiful girl, before she could dwell on it for too long however Nathan came back, pushing his head in between the two girls.

"Becky! You're such a girl, taking too long to get dressed." She opened her mouth but he shushed her. "Don't worry I forgive you, time to get down and dirty." He wiggled his eyebrows at her and led her out of the changing rooms, she could hear a few giggles behind her and felt her face burning as she tried to keep up with his long legs.

Once they got outside she managed to untangle herself from him and let out a sigh of relief, she wasn't used to this much attention from boys. She was used to being ignored.

She stood against the railing and crossed her arms, her foot frantically tapping on the floor as she waiting to get this day over with. It wasn't long before the rest of the young offenders made their way outside and they all stood in a line. Rebecca was thankful that Nathan didn't get another chance to talk to her because she'd already done her daily quota of socialization.

She sent sidelong glances at the rest of the group, realising that she'd managed to stand next to Nathan again. She ignored him as a man appeared in front of them.

"Right. I'm Tony and I'm your probation worker. You all know why you're here, to do some good in society. To give something back." Rebecca nervously moved from one foot to the other, she didn't mean to tune him out but she just couldn't focus on his words. She stared as his lips were moving but there was no real sound coming out.

She snapped out of it when she heard a phone ring, she watched as Alisha answered it with no concern about the rising anger of the probation worker. Rebecca bit her lip as she watched the exchange, there was no real need for Nathan to join in when he did. Perhaps he felt that he wasn't getting enough attention?

"Hey!" A hand was waved in front of her face and she refocused on the face in front of her, smiling slightly as the beaming face of Nathan encouraged her to get back to reality.

"Sorry." She muttered, leaning backwards a bit so he wasn't as close to her face. He mockingly frowned when he noticed her maintaining the distance but he was soon distracted when one of the other boys starting to act aggressive towards him. Rebecca giggled as she watched the scene, her giggles were infectious enough for everyone else to start laughing.

Tony managed to get the two boys away from one another, Nathan was laughing as he picked up a few of the paint cans and starting walking in the direction Tony was shouting at him to go to.

"Grab me a paintbrush will you sweetheart." He shouted back to me, the girl with her hair scraped back turned to me.

"Do you know him?" She asked in her very interesting accent, Rebecca didn't want to say that it sounded chavy but there was no other word to explain it. Rebecca shook her head.

"I've only met him today." The girl nudged Rebecca causing her to drop one of the paintbrushes. The girl scooped it up and walked backwards so they were still facing one another.

"I'm Kelly by the way."

"Rebecca."

"Hey Sweetheart! I need a paintbrush if I want to get this bullshit over and done with!" Both heads shot to where Nathan was standing by the lake, hands on his hips as though he was getting annoyed although both knew that the last thing he wanted to do was actual work. Rebecca sighed before accepting the paintbrush back off the blonde and scampering over to him.

"Thanks." He said as he was handed his new tool, he wrapped an arm round her and gave her a kiss on the forehead, Rebecca blushed and avoided everyone's gaze before settling down at a bench and began to paint.

AN: So what do we think? I'd been watching the new episodes of misfits and then decided to go back to the beginning. I thought to myself that there just were not enough Nathan stories on here because he will forever be my favourite.

This story is also on another fanfiction website, feel free to verify with myself if you would like.