01 | 𝘛𝘏𝘐𝘕𝘕𝘐𝘕𝘎 𝘗𝘈𝘛𝘐𝘌𝘕𝘊𝘌

SAKURA OFTEN WONDERED WHY SASUKE married her and not Naruto instead, since it was so obvious that her husband liked the blonde more

"Oh. He sent you a letter, did he?" She asked, her voice light and airy. Her expression was pleasant as well, but Naruto knew his friend well enough to know that she was coming to a boiling point on the inside.

The poor blonde gulped warily. They were inside his house and he had just bought a new couch with cupholders for his ramen. It cost him a lot of ryo so he was really hoping she wouldn't accidentally destroy it in her blind rage.

"Ah, well, yes, but it was just about the mission, Sakura-chan..."

"His mission." She echoed.

Naruto started to inch back. "Y-yes..."

"So he sent you a letter. About his stupid mission."

Another gulp. "Uh huh..."

Sakura balled her fists and tried to contain her anger at what she was hearing.

She hadn't seen Sasuke in years. Not since they got married at age twenty and had Sarada soon afterwards. Not even a month after their little angel was born, Sasuke had up and left to take on important missions (it was also his way to repent for all the terrible things he had done).

She understood his reasoning for this, and while she was disappointed when he first informed her of his plans, she accepted it nevertheless and promised to wait for him.

But it had been six years and he hasn't returned home once. Not even for a brief visit.

He'd give gifts though. Like a stuffed teddy, cute toys, and story books for Sarada's birthday whenever he missed it. Or jewelry, kunai, and medical books for every wedding anniversary he wasn't home for.

While Sakura wasn't ungrateful for them, she couldn't help but feel like every present he sent to them was... empty. There were no notes, no 'I love you's, nothing. Just a wrapped gift and that was all. Like he was trying to buy her love. It was infuriating. She wasn't materialistic, she didn't want any of his fancy trinkets—she just wanted him home.

He never even responded to her letters.

How many letters had she sent to him that ended up being unanswered (sometimes she wondered if he even bothered to open them)? How many years had she pleaded for him to come back to her and their daughter, but it never happened?

She didn't send letters every day, but at this point she had to have sent over a hundred now. And she never once received a reply. She spent years agonizing over his silence only to learn now that her husband had finally sent a letter.

To Naruto. Not her.

"Can I see the letter?" She breathed out, forcing herself to stay calm.