05| uncle

⎯⎨⌘⎬⎯

⎯⎨⌘⎬⎯

          My sensu, as usual, covers my lower appearances as I stroll by the various high-end stores. Nuan is following by my heels, hands politely planted in her front. A particular tea shop suddenly catches my eye by its extensive vibrant green and red writing, outlined with glistening stainless metal wiring. 'The Meadow' displayed boldly in a polished cursive board.

Nuan seems to have remarked my sudden attraction to the tea shop and pokes a finger on my arm to grab my attention, "Want to go there? I've heard from the other maids they have countless flavorful tea selection and mouthwatering biscuits. They also sell batches of tea bags to take home."

"Oh, I believe we've run out of green tea, haven't we? Let's grab a batch and some biscuits," I lick my lips in excitement at the mere thought of sugary and crumbly biscuits, "my mother has been extremely severe on my food intake recently, all to simply 'seduce' the fire lord."

"I've noticed, she kept on smacking your hand away when you were reaching for those sesame cakes," when she recollects my mother's antics this morning, Nuan titters as I groan quietly.

"She even told the cook not to give me anything, no matter how much I ask him to, " I whine as I move on the tea shop's short front steps, the soothing aroma of brewed tea and fresh warm biscuits brushing my nose, "Tengfei's desserts are to die for, and I am literally perishing every day without it—!"

My sentence abruptly cuts off at the unexpected collision against another body, the sensu thankfully cautiously concealing my face, I quickly move aside to apologize. Then my breath hitches when the familiar golden orbs of Fire Lord Zuko comes to view.

"Lihua Xiong?" my eyes widen in utter shock as my name smoothly rolls off his tongue.

"Fire Lord Zuko— I'm so sorry for bumping into you."

"It's alright, don't worry about it. Why don't you join my uncle and me for some cup of tea? I'm certain he would be delighted to have an added company."

"I cannot, I- I will only disturb you two—"

"Then, as Fire Lord, I command you to have tea with us. A 'no' will inevitably cost you rigorous punishment," a triumphant grin stretches his lips as I lift a brow in amusement.

"Very well, I absolutely prefer not to experience such rigorous punishment from the Fire Lord, " I answer teasingly as he gracefully nods. Shifting my attention to the awestruck Nuan, I spoke, "Nuan, can you please buy some green tea for the house?"

She deliberately responds, her eyes solely fixated on the mighty man standing near beside me, before scampering towards the counter, "Y- yes, Lady Lihua!"

As he leads me towards the booth positioned alongside a large window, I question him, "How did you know it was me? Many other dames could have looked like me with a sensu."

"Instincts, you could say? I cannot explain it myself, I just- knew, that it was you."

Though his explanation seemed odd, I inwardly smile for he recognizes me, "Honestly, I'm surprised you remember me, I thought I was just any other consort."

"No, in fact, Kiyi has been asking about you for a playdate."

"She has? Well, I don't mind her coming to my home."

He appreciatively smiles as we come to the booth they are currently occupying, "That would be excellent, she'll be thrilled when I tell her."

"Zuko, I wasn't aware you were bringing a lady friend," the retired General Iroh, Fire Lord Zuko's uncle, speaks welcomely with a friendly toothy grin that perfectly harmonizes his admirable personality, "It has been quite a while since we've last seen each other, Lady Lihua."

"You know her, uncle?" Zuko inquiries, glancing questioningly between his uncle and me. After engulfing the elderly man in a warm embrace, I take a seat by the window.

"I never mentioned her? Her father, General Boqin, is a dear friend of mine," Iroh states as he settles on the seat in front of me, Zuko sat beside him while listening attentively, "We fought side by side when I was in the military. He is a skilled firebender, and his intelligence was regarded by many, earning him the title as one of the youngest appointed generals."

"Then, you must also be firebender, right?" Zuko asks me, his eyes shimmering in curiosity in a youthful manner.

"I am, with said status, my father was afraid anything would happen to me. Therefore teaching me how to firebend at a young age. Additionally, I had an instructor to practise fighting with a sensu," I trace the edges on my sensu's leaf, "they have been specifically prepared for me, the tips and ribs have a sharp metal that can efficiently slice and deflect anything."

"I remember seeing her train with her father, she possesses a strong yet graceful fighting style," Iroh compliments as I mutter a small 'thank you' bashfully.

"If uncle praises you like that, then you must truly be astounding," Zuko adds on.

My heart flutter at the oncoming comments, a sense of pride grows within me by getting recognitions from a retired -nevertheless powerful- general and his nephew, the Fire Lord. 

| to be continued