09| promise

⎯⎨⌘⎬⎯

⎯⎨⌘⎬⎯

          Sighing in exasperation, as I took my common position by the usual turtle duck pond. Thankfully, it was not located excessively far from the royal palace. Placing my sensu to my side, I wiggled my wrist to ease the stiffness from gripping the item on my profile for hours. You would imagine one will be accustom to the dull pain after holding it as much for many years.

It was unbearable, the squealing girls closely encircling our Fire Lord and the various giggling intoxicated generals, my father, unfortunately, being one of them. My mother deserted me long ago to mingle with her beloved friends, who were apparently much more important than her own daughter at that moment. Mines were not present, since they are already either engaged or married, and this is a party specifically for the noble consorts and their family. Overall, I obviously did not have the most pleasant experience. Physically viewing the avatar is assuredly the sole highlight of tonight's entertainment.

I gasp when the shrubs unexpectedly rustle, quickly shifting to find the familiar man whom I missed the night before. My chest ignites in utter affection at the mere sight of him, and naturally, a broad smile settles across my profile.

"Lee!" I childishly pouted as he settles beside me, leaving a very short gap, "I was completely alone yesterday."

"I am genuinely sorry, there was just so much work to be done. I truly wanted to be here, rather than my office—"

His words seem to have died down as he stared at the sensu located between us. Without producing a single sound, moderately uplifting it to his eye-level, he thoroughly examines it. His sudden interest in it causes my brow to furrow.

"Is something wrong?" I inquire.

"Your sensu— there's metal on the edge and ribs, specifically for fighting, correct?"

He does not answer my question, though nonetheless, I replied, "Sharp eye! Not many actually notice it unless I tell them. We have these specially made for me, essentially for self-defence."

He simply hums in response, then coming noticeably nearer to me. My eyes widen when, wordlessly, he pushes back my loose strands behind my ear. The sudden proximity between us rushes the blood to my cheeks as I feel his warm breathing on my parted lips. I could easily breathe in the aromatic essence of cinnamon and jasmine tea from him. He caresses my jaw with the back of his hand and softly swipes his thumb over my lips.

"The hanfu you are wearing, is it custom made?"

I nodded, too mesmerized by his sensual caresses to form words. A wavering exhalation leaves him, as though he held his breath for a while. A smile instantly spreads across his lower features.

"You are definitely the most beautiful tonight."

His lips are sealed with mine.

I moaned against his lips, eyes immediately closing off when relishing the feeling of his arms wrapping around my waist and hoisting me over his lap, my skirt now rode over my thighs. The shock stirring within my body subsidies as I give into the erotic embrace. I gripped tighter onto his cloak, as he pushes my head closer to him, our teeth clashed and wet tongues fought for dominance. I sighed in sheer pleasure, hearing my heart pounding when his hands glide on my naked leg, lingering on my innermost portions. He peppers multiple kisses on the crook of my neck and travels up, shuddering at the feeling of his tongue on the shell of my ear. My half-lidded clouded gaze is filled with lust and need for this man, whose face I have yet to observe. Gingerly, my fingers clutched into his hood, ready to yank it down.

"Don't," the husky authoritative voice tore me from the pulsing euphoria as he instantly yet considerately gripped my wrist. His heart pounds drastically faster under the palm resting over his chest, which rose and fell while panting from the small session connecting us.

"Why can't I still see you?" the disappointed tone in my question is unmistakable, my eyebrows scrunched in utter sadness as I retracted my hand from his loosening grip. He places his rough hands over my cheeks, sweeping the tears brimming in the corner of my eye with his thumb. Kissing my lips ever so tenderly.

"I promise— I promise, you will. Tomorrow you shall finally see me."

| to be continued