10| revelation

⎯⎨⌘⎬⎯

⎯⎨⌘⎬⎯

All noble consorts are concentrated in the Fire Nation capital city, in which we find ourselves, today, in an impressive room behind dark maroon curtains attached to a magnificent staircase. Outside, by the foot, countless ushering families and civilians await for the Fire Lord to announce his decision. This ceremony was declared to proceed in a particular manner. The consorts' name will be proclaimed one by one -by the duke- to descend the stairs to a space maintained for us principally, where we will look up to Fire Lord Zuko as he makes his decision. Following the name being declared to the antsy public, the announced consort shall ascend the stairs to consolidate with her future husband as Lady of the Fire Nation.

Presently, all consorts stood upright as names are being listed. Many seemed very much anxious, others appeared remarkably convinced they captured the Fire Lord's heart. My sole distress was not to humiliate myself in front of the innumerable people. I only wished the day to become nighttime, for me to, eventually, see Lee.

"Lihua Xiong!"

Please do not trip nor unintentionally bump into the Fire Lord this time.

Heaving a deep breath to overcome the inclining nervousness, I faced forward with a handful of confidence. My sensu systematically held in front of my face as I walked out of the unrolled curtains. I immediately discern Nuan and my parents amongst the clustered crowds. Silently, I descend the cemented staircase and position beside the previously named noblewoman. I could not help but notice Zuko's lingering gaze on me. I quickly shook my head, forcing out the mere imagination of the likelihood of him to ever choose me.

Shortly, all consorts descended and stood in a perpendicular line by the bottom of the staircase. The duke mutely nodded to himself as he uttered the next statement.

"Behind the sensu is the dame you've been seeking, Fire Lord Zuko."

I can instantly sense the tension gradually increasing, consorts visibly shifting on their toes while some fumbled with their sensu. Surprisingly, it did not take as prolonged as I anticipated to choose.

"Lihua Xiong, you have been favoured by the Fire Lord to become his future wife!"

Although, hearing my name being announced is definitely something I never foresaw.

My mind quickly goes blank as the cheering became deafened to my ears, my legs remotely went up to face my supposed future husband. My bottom lip quivered when my head was engulfed with the cherishing moments I spent with Lee. Without a second thought, I made my decision.

"I'm sorry!" I expressed loudly, a sickening lump developing inside my throat. Reoccurring gasps reverberated within the distance, and murmurs distributed between the bodies as I proceeded painfully, "I- I cannot accept this. I am so sorry, but I fell in love—"

"— with Lee."

My startled eyes quickly met with Zuko's, rather than the anger I presumed I would have received, I simply find adoration emitting from them. I then became perplexed as to how he would know of Lee.

Everyone around us silences themselves when Zuko strides towards me, my body stiffens when his hand pushes away the strands of hair behind my ears, a simple motion Lee has also done to me. He held a look of determination as he took away the sensu from my fingers, ultimately exposing my face. His breath fans my ears as he mutters.

"I promised, didn't I? That today, you would finally see me."

I gasp, I knew exactly of what he was speaking, and tremendous glee fulfilled my chest. I cried in utter happiness as I jumped into his open arms, the boisterous applause quickly recommence in the background, though the only music I listen to is Zuko's laughter.

As he places me down on the ground, I interrogatively ask, "How did you know it was me?"

He pulls me closer by wrapping his arms around my waist as I casually place my palms over his chest, "Your sensu, you revealed to me how they were uniquely made for you. Only to be absolutely reassured, I questioned your hanfu, because I remember my mother complimenting it."

"All this time you were right in front of me," I tell him, content with finally discovering the hooded man, by the pond. Suddenly, he passionately kisses my lips as I slip my fingers onto his firm jaw. Uproarious whoopings and whistling are heard from the crowd as I push Zuko away in complete embarrassment.

Lightly swatting his chest, my face significantly reddened from his performance as I spoke breathlessly, "What was that for?"

"I love you too."

| epilogue