Cold Love

I watched as the two sat there at separate tables, oblivious to the love of their life sitting a mere table away. Every year around this time they would come and get their hot chocolate or coffee and sit outside this Café and entertain themselves usually with other people. It sort of reminded me of our situation, never free to be together.

My heart beat picked up when I sensed his presence. He was close, probably behind me just watching the couple as I was. I refused to turn around and see him, to see his gorgeous ice cold eyes staring back into my own. Every time we seemed to meet up my heart breaks just a bit more and that’s a problem considering I’m cupid.

The chill that crept up my spine confirmed my suspicions. He was definitely behind me but he hadn’t said a word to alert me to the fact that he was here, he was probably trying to find something to say. We both knew how the other felt but we could never act on those feelings. Spinning on my heel slowly I turned to face him immediately putting on a false smile.

“Well hello Jack.” I spoke warmly.

“Hey Cupid.” He whispered back looking me straight in the eyes.

I could get lost in those eyes. So expressive, so cold, so perfect. He smiled warmly at me before tossing his hair bright white hair out of his face as he closed the distance between us standing next to me. Turning around I turned my attention back to the couple that was sitting below us still sipping at the coffee and hot chocolate.

“Every year we try and get them together and every year they just seem to get more stubborn. Why won’t they just accept that they belong together?” Jack asked with slight amusement to his voice.

“Yeah…two people that know they should be together should always find a way to be together.” I whispered sadly.

He caught on to the sadness in my voice and immediately there was silence. We stood there watching as the two of them sat at their separate tables every so often looking up to gaze at the other longingly. When I felt that it was the right time I nudged Jack motioning for him to get on with the plan.

With a wave of his hand a powerful gust of wind blew in their direction tipping her cup of hot chocolate onto her lap. Leaping up from out of her seat she instantly began dabbing at the hot liquid staining the front of her outfit. The man seeing that she needed a bit of help ran to her rescue with a handful of napkins. Once cleaned up they took the time to actually look at each other.

As soon as their eyes met it was an instant attraction and I knew our work was done here. The two had finally gotten together and there was no longer a need for the two of us to be here together. We would soon separate and go our own ways and we would both be alone for another year until I found someone else that would need both of our help.

“Well I guess that’s it.” Jack spoke sullenly as he turned away from the couple and began walking away towards the other side of the roof we were on.

“Wait Jack.”

“What?” He said speaking quietly as he stopped at the end of the rooftop.

“I can’t do this anymore.”

“Do what?”

“This.” I said waving my arms between us.

“Cupid don’t do this you know that-“

“I don’t care about what others might think. I love you and I know you love me so why can’t we just be together?”

“Don’t do this to yourself Cupid. It’ll only make it worse on you later.”

“It doesn’t have to be hard on us if we just try it out.” I whispered sadly as I turned away from him. Every year my heart just broke more. The padding of his footsteps across the rooftop didn’t even cause me to flinch. I was too fed up with the hurt to even care anymore. He wrapped his arms around my waist from behind as he rested his head on my shoulder. His breath sounded in my ear as he breathed softly.