twenty one

Living Stories

"You did a great job," Hoseok applauds as soon as I approach them. Jungkook has a sweet smile tugged on his lips, eyes insinuating that he is enamoured by my action, while Yoongi seems uninterested as before.

"It was nothing, Hoseok-ssi," I reply, putting on a self-effacing demeanor with the motive to hide my erupting collywobbles. I soon engage myself in their conversation which is headed towards a direction much needed for our date. I just nod to whatever they decide, wherever they want to go, whatever food they want to eat, with small polite talks in between, finding myself unable to draw away from my thoughts, the magazine in my hand weighing down everything to its side.

We set to march towards our clear-cut destination. The nearest amusement park is at a 15 minute walking distance from here.

While it is easy to conceal my twitchiness from everyone, it is, like always, tough convincing Jungkook of my current state. He is a keen observer and even a little bit of difference in my behaviour or body language alerts him. It is not hard to spot how he has his eyes on me for awhile now, not the adoring kind, but the something-is-wrong-with-her kind.

When Jungkook finds Yoongi and Hoseok entangled with some fascinating talk by themselves, he steps closer to me while paddling his legs parallel to mine. I almost expect him to ask me something but he doesn't, he just reticently walk next to me. I try to deviate my inquisitiveness to our surroundings, the pedestrians busy on their path, some going the same way, others returning back. Some with families, some with friends and some with their significant others, almost all out to enjoy the minty weather and weekend. A couple passes by us with matching baby-pink colour shirts, sharing vanilla ice-cream cone and smiling at each other.

"What's going through your lil head, Sky?" Jungkook finally asks.

Being aware of his worrisome nature and kind heart, I restrain myself from telling him anything. "Jungkook, it's nothing, really."

"I'm curious now, is your nothing always making you withdraw yourself away from me?"

"I'm sorry, I'm fine, actually I just need not to overthink." I smile at him, this time feeling content that he cares. Cares really more than anyone would actually do. Tipping my head back, I look up at the vast spotless sky and as my gaze falls, it sweeps through the huge wheel with its swinging carts mobile in the deep blue expanse. "Wow, a Ferris wheel."

"You want to go there?" He asks, chewing on his bottom lip to cloak his excitement.

If we were kids, we wouldn't have waited for each other's consent but would have rather raced to the location with our breaths running out. Being a grown-up has its disadvantages. Nonetheless it doesn't take time to reach there with our normal pace, each silent motion a tranquil moment.

We stand at a line going to the wheel, Yoongi and Hoseok right behind us. "Save us some space, we'd be right back." Jungkook tells to one of his buddies as he holds my hand - of course surprising me - and pulling me along him. He stoops down at the blue-ribbon dividers funnelled towards the giant wheel, and moves forward, still holding me and I quietly follow his moves meanwhile. He practically makes me walk over to a vendor selling pink and blue candy flosses as though he's asking me to buy him some.

"Two cotton candies please." He says to the vendor as he takes out his wallet and stifles through it.

He wants to eat that, I understand, but-"why am I here?" I question, raising my brows.