prologue.

- - -
in the o.r, time loses all meaning. in the midst of sutures and saving lives, the clock ceases to matter. 15 minutes, 15 hours– inside the o.r, the best surgeons make time fly.
- - -

mallory is sat on her bathroom floor, her back against the bathtub, still wearing her pyjamas, and her hair sticking out in every direction. she has a plate of half eaten cake sat on her lap, and a fork in her hand.

"mommy?" her daughter, bonnie's, voice sounds out from the other side of the door, along with a gentle knock.

"mommy just needs a moment to herself!" mallory cries, bringing her fork back up to her mouth.

- - -
outside the o.r, however, time takes pleasure in kicking our asses. for even the strongest of us it seems to play tricks. slowing down. hovering. until it freezes.
- - -

derek and richard are walking through the corridors of seattle grace when mark approaches, beginning to walk alongside them.

"has anybody seen addison?" mark enquires.

"uh, she's gone," richard shrugs.

"gone?" mark's eyes widen as he pulls the three of them to a halt.

"she took a leave of absence," richard explains.

"why?" mark's voice raises an octave, involuntarily, due to the surprise. "i mean, did she tell you why?"

"what'd you do to her mark?" derek turns to the plastic surgeon who glares at him before turning back to the chief.

"she didn't give a reason," richard tells him.

"did she tell you where she was going?" mark continues to press for information, and richard sighs.

"all she said was she needed some time, 'to be happy and free', if i recall correctly," richard informs him. "excuse me."

richard then turns and walks away from mark. derek looks at him with a slightly amused and smug expression before he leaves in the same direction as richard.

■ ■ ■

when mallory walks out of her office and through the practice, past the front desk, she has her head down, rooting through her purse for her keys.

"hey, dell, can you push my appointments back an hour?" mallory asks the boy sat behind the front desk, her head still in her handbag.

"mallory?"

at the sound of her name being called by a voice she knew all too well, mallory freezes, her head remaining down. although she recognised the voice, it was no longer familiar to her, and nor was it one she had ever wanted to hear again.

when her hand finally reaches her keys, she clenches her fist around them, retrieving them from her purse as she forces a smile and slowly lifts her head.

"hello, addison," mallory's voice is pleasant as she addresses the redhead, but it is clear that she is faking it. before addison gets the chance to respond, mallory turns to sam and naomi who are stood beside her estranged sister. "i have to rescue cooper."