iv.

- - -
at some point during surgical residency, most interns get a sense of who they are as doctors and the kinds of surgeons they are going to become.
- - -

in violet's office, rebecca is frantically pacing around whilst violet sits on the couch and mallory stands by the door.

"i don't need another shrink," rebecca protests. "this is exactly why i didn't tell you about the psych ward."

"i need you to be off your feet. your contractions just eased up," mallory tells her softly as she walks over to the panicked patient.

"if no one can figure out what's wrong with me, they'll keep saying i'm crazy," rebecca stresses, her eyes threatening to spill with tears. "they'll take my baby away."

"we are going to do everything we can to keep that from happening," violet assures.

"but we need you to help us. now come on. sit down," mallory nods her head and rebecca exhales deeply as she takes a seat. mallory then crouches down beside her and smiles. "talk."

- - -
if you ask them, they'll tell you they are going to be general surgeons, orthopedic surgeons, neurosurgeons.
- - -

cooper is sat in one of the restroom stalls with the door locked, nervously fiddling with his hands. he exhales deeply before he begins to ramble to himself.

"okay. i know i seem like this guy that dates women from the internet... okay, i am this guy who dates women from the internet but that's only because... no, scrap that. no good," he shakes his head. "okay... um, you're beautiful and you're funny and an amazing mom and... well, you're annoying, but in a way that's endearing when it's not driving me crazy and the point is... the point is... the point is, i love you."

as pete walks out of his office, he hears cooper's voice coming from the restroom. furrowing his brow, pete proceeds towards the sound of cooper's voice, stopping outside the closed cubicle door.

"i'm in love with you and... i have been forever. i love you. i love you," cooper nods to himself, contently, before standing up and unlocking the cubicle door where he comes face to face with pete, causing him to jump back slightly.

"were you just saying 'i love you' to your genitals?" pete cocks a brow.

"no," cooper answers with uncertainty in his voice and pete stammers before just nodding and leaving the restroom.

■ ■ ■

mallory is bending down, staring at a urine sample labelled 'camilla davis' when cooper walks by and notices her. he watches her for a moment, moving to an upright position, before he decides to walk over to her.

"hey," he greets and she smiles at him. "there's... i want to talk to you. tell you something that i... what are you doing?"

"that's cami's urine sample," mallory nervously chuckles, scratching her head.

"you're spying on cami's pee?" cooper looks at her with incredulity.

"no," mallory shakes her head and cooper raises his brow at her. "the, um, this cami thing is eating at me. right? it's really all i can think about. so, if i were a friend asking for advice, what would i tell myself?"

"well, probably that talking to yourself like you're two people is a sign of insanity?" cooper shrugs.

"no, i would tell my friend that they need to figure out a way to move on," mallory tells him. "to get some information so that they can move on."

"and that relates to cami's bodily fluids how?" he asks with utter confusion.

"what if cami's pregnant? i mean, if i know cami is pregnant, that would be a big step in really solidifying that it's over between me and ryan," mallory explains, turning to reach for the sample.