vi.

- - -
to make it- really make it- as a surgeon, it takes major commitment. we have to be willing to pick up that scalpel and make a cut that may or may not do more damage than good.
- - -

"remind me why i'm here, again?" cooper turns to mallory with a furrowed brow as the two of them sit in the back of taxi, bonnie sitting between them.

"because derek works here now," mallory reminds him, nervously bouncing her leg up and down, and chewing on her nails.

"okay..." cooper's brow remains furrowed. "i thought we liked derek?"

"no, we do. we do like derek. we love derek. derek's like a second brother to us. we just..." mallory sighs deeply. "we haven't seen derek since new york, and when we left new york we were really going through it, and well, we didn't know we were pregnant and we promised derek we'd keep in touch, and we did but not as much as we would've liked, and i left out some minor details like having a baby, so seeing him again-"

"mommy, who's derek?" bonnie asks, tugging gently on mallory's shirt, cutting off her fast rambling.

"derek's uh... derek's mommy's friend," mallory smiles at her whilst continuing to vigorously bounce her leg up and down.

"i think you need to calm down," cooper whispers, reaching over bonnie to place his hand on mallory's leg, holding it steady and she exhales deeply.

- - -
it's all about being committed, because if we're not, we have no business picking up that scalpel in the first place.
- - -

walking through the unfamiliar corridors of seattle grace, mallory's eyes are frantically scanning around for any indication of where to go. cooper is walking slightly behind her, holding onto bonnie's  hand.

"okay, richard said there's a daycare," mallory tells cooper, turning her head back to him as the three of them continue walking. "i don't know where it is exactly, but..."

"mallory?" a voice calls from a few feet ahead of the brunette, and she soon stops walking.

turning her head back to face forwards, her eyes soon land on derek shepherd who's stood wearing a pair of navy scrubs and a crisp white lab coat. there's a slight look of confusion on the neurosurgeon's face, but it is quickly replaced with a smile once he has confirmed it is in fact mallory forbes montgomery standing before him.

"derek," mallory forces an uncomfortable smile as she takes a few steps towards him, and he does the same, allowing them to meet in the middle. "hi."

"hi," derek chuckles, pulling the brunette in for a tight hug before releasing her from his comforting, and once familiar, grip. "what are you doing here?"

"richard called me in for a- a, uh, case," mallory explains and derek nods before craning his neck to look around mallory, his brow furrowing slightly when his eyes land on cooper and the little girl beside him.

"oh, uh," mallory stammers, turning back so that she is standing beside them. "derek, this is my... uh, this is cooper. he is my- my, uh, my friend."

"derek shepherd," he holds his hand out to shake cooper's.

"hey," cooper nods.

"and this, uh..." mallory gently pulls bonnie towards her, wrapping her arms around the little girl who is now stood in front of her mother, leaning back against her. "this is my daughter, bonnie," mallory smiles.