Chapter 1

My chambermaid, Silvia, curled my red locks so they cascaded down my back. My second chambermaid, Gwen was sucking the life out of me as she tightened another knot in my corset. In truth, I hated this much pampering and was thankful I only had to endure it on special occasions, such as this one. Tonight, we would meet the new Werewolf King.

My father, the human king, and I would not find it so special but rather something to endure. To say there was bad blood between humans and werewolves was an understatement. The wars were just the tip of it, the worst was the oppression and poverty that my people were experiencing.

When the last Werewolf King divided the humans and werewolves, he did so in a way that made sure that werewolves remained dominant over humans. He enforced heavy taxes on all goods that go directly to the werewolves. The ones that live in poverty still live like royalty compared to some of the richest of my people.

Gwen pulled me out of my thoughts with one final tug on my corset. She then assisted me with putting on my finest gown. It was a royal blue with lots of tulle at the bottom and with lace and crystals decorating the bodice. Silvia fetched the matching heels and placed them in front of me while Gwen fussed with the hem of my skirt.

"You look gorgeous, Princess Ariella," Silvia said, as she stepped back to survey her work.

"Not yet," Gwen insisted. "She still needs one more thing."

She disappeared into my closet and returned with a black velvet box that was worn and faded from the many years of use.

Gwen carefully opened it and revealed the contents, "I thought you might want to have a piece of your mother here with you tonight."

I fought back the tears not wanting to ruin my makeup. I traced my fingers along the simple diamond necklace. It had been a wedding gift from my father to my mother. She told me she was furious at him buying something so expensive, but she knew it came from the heart so she wore it whenever possible.

"Thank you," I said, sweeping my red curls to the side, to allow Gwen to place the necklace around my neck.

"There. Now you're ready," Gwen confirmed with a brilliant smile.

~*~

I descended the stairs and then made my way into the ballroom where I surveyed the room. I counted the number of tables and chairs. I double-checked each seat had a place setting. I scanned the floral arrangements for any abnormalities.

Everything must be perfect and anything less was unacceptable, appearance and perception was important. We would not give a reason to them to think of us as weak or inferior.

Once I'm sure everything is ready, I make my way to the entry hall where I find my father standing in wait. He's in his finest suit, shifting uncomfortably as I make my way over to him. He hates that suit and has told me so on many occasions. I stifle my laugh, understanding the feeling. His salt and pepper hair was slicked back, with not one hair out of place, and his face was neatly shaven.

"You look beautiful," he said while taking my hand.

"You don't look so bad yourself," I told him, straightening his tie ever so slightly.

"Are you ready?"

"As I'll ever be." I took a deep breath.

"You may let them in, Harrison," my father commanded the doorman, allowing for our guests to start making their way into the ballroom.

One by one, guests poured in, all of them human, as we waited for the guest of honor to arrive.

After greeting about the hundredth guest or so, a group of men made their way in.